Need some guidance as to the next step....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think this one deserves to be in the Cider Forum not the Beginners Beer Brewing Forum.

Its Cider, nothing about cider should be done fast...chill out, relax, and leave the carboys for 3 months before thinking about bottling. Then bottle and drink 3+months later for best results. Bottle and drink earlier for less than optimal results.

Cider takes a long time to optimize...sure you can drink it once its done fermenting(ie stable gravity reading) and priming but you wont be as happy as you would be if you waited.
-Jefe-

Fair enough... I'll repost it tommorrow. Like I said, I am in my infancy, both brewing and navigating this website. A little leniency is all I ask.
Thank you for the response Jefe! Do I just leave them as is for the first 3 months? Keep the water level in the vapor locks up and walk away? Thanks again!!!

Fair enough... I'll repost it tommorrow. Like I said, I am in my infancy, both brewing and navigating this website. A little leniency is all I ask.
Thank you for the response Jefe! Do I just leave them as is for the first 3 months? Keep the water level in the vapor locks up and walk away? Thanks again!!!

The amount of time you leave them in your fermenters depends on a lot of factors: space, time, and preference.

Yes, the longer you leave cider (in this case perry) the happier you will be with the result. Yes, as long as you make sure that your airlocks don't dry out you will be fine leaving them alone for months(side note: i have left airlocks for 6 months and not had them dry out).

As a teaching point, the only way to know that fermentation has stopped is to measure your SG for about 3 days in a row; if its stable then you know that fermentation is done. Airlock activity can be a bit unreliable if your fermentation vessel isnt air-tight.

The most valuable skill you can learn as a homebrewer/home-fermenter is patience. The yeast have been doing this for millions of years, we just have to step back and let them do their thing.
-Jefe-

Back