Need some advice...Pump/Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col224

Reaction score
A little while ago, my (cheap, first one bought) copper immersion chiller broke and I opted for an overall upgrade to a plate chiller.

I've tried two batches since then and haven't gotten my new "cooling" system to work. The major problem revolves around two factors: My pump is not self-priming and my Kettle doesn't have a spigot to feed it. Ultimately, I think I need to upgrade either my pump to a self-priming option ($150 - $200) or get a new brew kettle ($100- $300) with a ball valve so I can feed the current pump.

My questions are - is there a path that anyone would recommend between the two? Is one option or the other unlikely to solve my overall problem of running my plate chiller?

Or, is there anything I'm not thinking about to get this to work with my current setup? I tried siphoning the wort into the pump and....disfigured my autosiphon (doh!).

Thanks in advance for any help!

I personally would go with a much nicer kettle. I tried to imagine my brew days without a ported kettle and just could not.

I happen to have a Ss Brewtech BME kettle that I'm not using anymore due to upgrading to electric. Shop around and find somethi g that works for you. I'd sell mine for 200 if you're inclined to go that route

Why not add a spigot? You need to drill a 13/16" hole in your kettle (get a step drill bit for that), and a bulkhead fitting.

Here's one I just bought from brewhardware.com: https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/truebulkhead2pbvdip.htm

Or, you can get a bulkhead and separate ball valve. I've used these bulkheads, as a weldless approach they can't be beat, IMO; they're as solid as if it were welded:

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/truebulkheadmale.htm

In any case, it's a lot cheaper than buying a new kettle. And those fittings WORK.

Most pumps that we use are not self priming, so IMO, I would work on the kettle side.
You can drill a hole in the kettle with a step bit. I haven't, but there are threads on here on how to do it. With success on the first hole, you can then add additional holes for thermometer, whirlpool, etc.
You'll have to consider weighing the cost of the step bit, weldless bulkhead and value, and how your current kettle works for you.

Here's a tip for using a step bit: it's scary to do it for the first time on an expensive kettle, all the while concerned you may screw it up.

So, practice. Drill a couple holes in the bottom of tin cans, or other metal with which you can practice.

It's really not hard. Dimple the metal where you want the hole centered, drill a small hole to accommodate the center of the step drill, then work it down a step at a time. Double check that you're only getting the diameter you need and that you don't go past it.

Thanks all! Sorry I haven't been able to get on here with the Holidays.

I didn't think of doing it myself at all. My current Kettle is a Bayou Classic 10gal so that might work perfectly.

I didn't think of doing it myself at all. My current Kettle is a Bayou Classic 10gal so that might work perfectly.

I have two Bayou Classic kettles I'll be drilling holes into so as to add the very fittings I referenced above.

I use bayou classic kettles as well..I have like 13 holes in the 3 I have that I drilled with the same harbor freight step bit.. just use cutting oil and go very slow with the drill and it should go smooth. the key is drilling SLOW. too fast and you almost instantly work harden the surface and dull the bit.

Back