Need quick help on 1st 10 gallon AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbellybrewery

Reaction score
I am in process of brewing 1st attempt of 10g batch. Need help with following.

10g Rubbermade cooler would not hold gran and mash in.
target tmp of 150 short by 2 degrees (148) water short by 3 qts

grain 23 lbs
mash-in 28.75 (beersmith calc) (single infusion)
mash 75 minutes

Suggestions to complete conversion please:confused:

View attachment recipes.txt

Definitely not an expert on this, but you could pull out a quart or two of wort, bring to a boil and return to you tun. Essentially, you'd be doing a quick decoction to raise your temp to 150F.
`
With a starting temp of 148F, ~23lbs grain bill, and 28qts in the mash, Beer Smith says to pull out a little over 1qt (1.14) for the decoction.

I am in process of brewing 1st attempt of 10g batch. Need help with following.

10g Rubbermade cooler would not hold gran and mash in.
target tmp of 150 short by 2 degrees (148) water short by 3 qts

grain 23 lbs
mash-in 28.75 (beersmith calc) (single infusion)
mash 75 minutes

Suggestions to complete conversion please:confused:

I have a similar setup and I did 25lbs of grain in my rubbermaid round 10 gallon cooler yesterday.. That's all it would hold though.. Would never try one bigger than that. I had 25lbs of grain and 7.75 gallons of water in it though... I have a braid though.. Do you have a false bottom?

I guess this wont help you now but I had the same exact thing happen to me on Friday. I hit 148 and there was no way I was getting more water in there. I just went with it and got really good conversion actually hit 82%. It was also my first 10gal batch, I'm pretty sure I'll be doing 10gal batches of my popular brews from now on, it didn't take that much longer and I got twice as much beer!!

I have a 3 gallon water cooler that I use for smaller mashes. It also will be used for larger beers that will not all fit in my 5 gallon.

I don't see the problem at all.

Size: 10.0 gal
[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
23 lb Pilsen Malt

00:37:25 Mash In - Liquor: 7.19 gal; Strike: 163.44 °F; Target: 151.0 °F (this puts a total of 9.4 gallons in the vessel)
01:37:25 Sac Rest - Rest: 60 min; Final: 151.0 °F
01:37:25 Batch Sparge - First Runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 4.43 gal collected, 0.0 min; Batch 1: 4.0 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 4.0 gal collected, 0.0 min; Sparge #2: 3.0 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 3.0 gal collected, 0.0 min; Total Runoff: 11.68 gal

I don't get the temp falling short.. you just compensate by increasing the strike temp. It's not like you're trying to strike at boiling and can't physically get the water any hotter.

Back