Need names of terrible beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...worst tasting commercial beer. ..looking for suggestions ... for truly awful.

mickeys.jpg

A humble suggestion.

Definitely a toss up between two beers. Defender's Choice which literally tastes like cat urine and metal; or Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer which tastes exactly how it sounds.

I'd rather not have whole garlic cloves and oregano physically floating in my beer, thank you.

The Dissident from Deschutes (a brewer which I like , usually)

Maybe it's just a 'style' thing (flanders sour) but I thought this was really nasty...maybe you could win on style points. I mean, anyone can bring in a sample of bad crap but this place makes other good brews....

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/brews/reserve-series/the-dissident/default.aspx

Good Luck!

This makes me want to cry. If you have any other bottles of it I'll take them off your hands. IMHO this is an amazing beer.

My nomination for worst beer, if you can find it, is O'hara's Irish Red. At least the batch we used for our BJCP course tasted just like dirt.

I have to agree about the Mickey's. I had a buddy that bought it thinking it was an Irish ale because of the name, then he pours me one and surprises me with it. It was a "fine" example of cold piss after a night of heavy drinking. I have to give a 4th vote to SA cherry wheat, and a 2nd to the cranberry lambic. Kroger here used to sell their "at kroger only" beer called Josef Hoffbauer that was 4.59 a 12 pack.

The Dissident from Deschutes (a brewer which I like , usually)

Maybe it's just a 'style' thing (flanders sour)

It probably is a style thing for you, check out the awards that Dissident won.

Platinum Medal, Flemish Style Brown Ale
2010 World Beer Championships

Gold Medal, American-Style or German-Style
Sour Ale
2008 Great American Beer Festival

Best Beer - Other
2008 NW Brewing News Readers' Choice Awards

National Bohemian Beer, "Natty Boh" Back in college it was $4 a case! tasted like dirty soapy dishwater. even in those dark days I couldn't choke that one down...

magic hat no. 9

Ugh...agreed!! Although I'm sure some people like it, as it seems to be available on draft at quite a few places. Tastes like a wine cooler beer to me. Yuk! I don't know if you get O'fallon Brewery's stuff out there, but they just came out with a Black Hemp that is pretty bad!! They make some good beer though, their 5 Day IPA is awesome. Their Wheach is pretty bad too, but I'm sure some people dig it.

Don't really have anything to contribute, but one of my best friend's SWMBO thinks Summer Shandy is God's gift to beer...:(

I've never bought a commercial one, but I gotta say, I've enjoyed some delicious and refreshing shandies on a hot summer day. Best one was at a wedding: 1/2 Sierra Nevada PA, 1/2 Lemonade with muddled mint leaves. Obviously not a beer, but a respectable beer-based drink in its own right.

Grolsch. Love the bottles, but the beer is hideous.

Also, Red Stripe. I bought some for a Buffett concert years ago, I choked down two at the concert, and the other four sat in the fridge for about two years before I finally dumped them. Blech.

Someone mentioned SA Cherry Wheat, but have you guys had the Cranberry Lambic before? While I can't definitively say it is worse than that BL Clamato abomination, it is still a really bad beer.

I've had both the Cherry Wheat and the Cranberry Lambic. The Cherry Wheat is the only beer I've ever poured down the drain because it was so bad I couldn't drink a whole bottle.

I've had both the Cherry Wheat and the Cranberry Lambic. The Cherry Wheat is the only beer I've ever poured down the drain because it was so bad I couldn't drink a whole bottle.

I haven't had a cherry wheat in 5 years or so, so my memory might be a little off, but I never had a problem with it. I mean, it wasn't great or even good in any way, shape, or form, but it didn't actively assault your tastebuds with putrid cranberries like the fingerquotes "lambic" did.

I love Boddington's myself, but I'm an English ale fan. Truly, Olde English 800 is tough to beat in this arena. Honorable mention would go to Olympia if you can find it outside of WA.

Truly, Olde English 800 is tough to beat in this arena.

Ha! The first time I ever got 'drunk' was on that stuff.. I think it was around 8th grade (maybe 7th).. Me and two buddies found a sixer of the stuff under a bush at the park at the edn of my block.. It was warm.. we each drank 2 cans... we all got drunk.. we all got in trouble...

Good times...

Keystone is the worst swill there is...

When you all decide on the list of beers to make the 'worst list'.. here's the tap handle to serve them with...

Tap handle for crappy beers

Anyways, on topic, go for Keystone Ice. It is NOT as smooth as Keith Stone makes it out to be...especially the next day.

Bought a twelve pack of that a few years back.. Drank about 2 swigs, and gave the twelve pack away..

Is Boddingtons that yellow can with the wooden ball in it? I bought a can of that crap once.. Couldn't finish it either... Cool can though...

my buddy bought a 6-pack of Michelob Dunkelweisse before that was god awful. I don't know if it's that beer in general or if we just got a poorly stored pack, but it tasted and smelled like bad pork. :(

Cantina cantina cantina

http://moreplease.centralmarket.com/general-interest/brewer-tour-comes-to-cm-this-week/

seriously, this is the winner, close the thread, look no further. The thing that makes this so terrible is that instead of going the typical BMC bland watery route, it truly deeply tastes like weasel piss. It has a very sharp bile taste to it. I would say stick it in the sun for a few days to skunk it up, but on the other hand every time I have had it it is already fully skunked. I actually like Corona with lime on some occasions, but this is its evil twin. This beer tastes and smells like a dimebag.

Lucky, Oly, sure, those are bad. But for me, Rainier is right up there with OE800 on the worst of the worst. Store warm for years then serve at room temperature.

Sadly, I disagree. I just had this on tap last night and it was not nearly cough syrup like compared to other cherry beers I have had...I do admit, it is possible that having it on tap changed the flavor slightly. I would not want to drink a 12er of this in 1 night but for an after dinner drink, it is not that bad...I do not think it would win a "worst of"... ;)

Being on tap must have made a HUGE difference then!

Being on tap must have made a HUGE difference then!

hahahahaha

I actually had a 7oz "taster" again tonight. The only thing SWMBO and I could think of was Twizzlers cherry licorice. It smelled just like it and tasted the same with a alcohol and a "tart" finish. I could never have more than 7oz at a crack, it is to sweet for me...

The owner said she was mixing it into Young's Double Chocolate Stout but that ended up kicking the barrel before we could try it, so I have little input on that.

Back