"church" last night

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This area has a large Vietnamese population, and we were invited to participate in the Chinese New Year festivities at their Catholic church.

It was the strangest experience of my life. There were a few white people there, but not very many.

It was surreal.

First, you walk over to the buffet where they have tons of cans of Bud and Bud Light. Everybody of legal age was drinking beer, but a few also had brought bottles from home and were mixing drinks at their tables. The children were dressed up- some in authentic Vietnamese clothes but at least one was in a Japanese kimono. Many women were dressed up in regular street clothes, but had a definite "hooker" look to them.

The children sang the Vietnam national anthem in Vietnamese and English, and then the US anthem (in English). Then we were all welcomed (in Vietnamese with English translations). More beer then.

Then came some singing. The band was electric guitars and a keyboardist, and drums. They played some standards (Vietnamese standards, I assume), but played some weird US songs. The singers were attractive young females, nearly naked and heavily made up. The priest blessed everyone, and then we went through the buffet. (Good food).

During dinner, more beers were passed.

Also during dinner, the band began playing more robustly and the beautiful girls took it up a notch. (This music was 98 decibels at our table, as measured on my friend's app on his phone). I kid you not, the band played that old Vietnamese standard "Hot Stuff" complete with the nearly naked lounge singer shimmying and strutting. (Fishnet stockings and high heels, a dress that didn't really entirely cover her crotch, and boobs hanging out). She sang it like a horny Donna Summer.

We all had more beers.

Then another priest, from another parish, came up to say a few words. He was local, and apparently well loved. He was distinctly Irish, the stereotypical Irish priest, and he sang "Too Ra Loo Ra Loo Ral" standing next to the Vietnamese nearly-naked singer from the band.

More disco played, and then a skit was done showing that all workers drink in the New Year (well, toast in the new year).

We all had more beer.

Then bingo started.

And then came the Dragon Dance with the kids being the dragon.

Then, we all had more beer.

Then came more bingo.

And then some of the prize drawings and the money tree.

Then dessert. My dessert was apparently green liquid and green floaties followed by another dessert of coconut jello-like rubber.

Then more disco singing, mixed in with some Vietnamese pop songs(?).

We left then, after only about 4 hours, and the night was still young there. It was starting to get a bit more rowdy by then.

That is the first time I ever left a church hall with a major buzz and my ears ringing. It was like I left a Peter Frampton concert circa 1979.

I had a great time!

It's fun to get to see different cultures, and not just the "official" version, but the way people really embrace their traditions. Cool!

that does sound like an awesome party

reminds me of the time I was heading to the local beer festival and, even though the GPS said this wasn't the turn, I followed a long line of cars and police directing traffic into a huge parking lot

which turned out to be a Korean Catholic church. I figured I was in the wrong place, but my first thought was, "golly, I didn't know well-dressed Asian families liked beer so much!"

How many Bug Light's did you have? You may need to see the priest in the confessional.

:mug:

MC

I have no idea. A lot.

But I have to go to confession to admit that following the Bud Lights, we switched over to "Lime a rita". Those little babies are apparently 8%, and it was pretty warm in there and I was very very thirsty.

I'm not hung over today, but nearly so. I'm moving a wee bit slowly this morning.

And your catholic church put this on ? Seems like a odd thing for a church to be allowing . But then they drink wine and bang alter boys so ....

And your catholic church put this on ? Seems like a odd thing for a church to be allowing . But then they drink wine and bang alter boys so ....

Not my church, no!

down here in s. Texas, I go to a southern baptist church. Trust me, there is NO alcohol anywhere in the place! My friend does call them "the drinking baptists" but I don't even wear a brewery t-shirt to church as most are tee-totalers.

It's a Vietnamese catholic church. Even the priest is Vietnamese, and the mass is all in Vietnamese. Some friends are teachers, and several of their students asked them to come. They've gone before, and had a good time and so brought us.

never even heard of a vietnamese catholic . Beer drinking and music does seem to be a thing that would make church fun . I really see no reason why any church would not go for it since the bible is full of wine drinking and music is just music no matter what type it is .
sounds like a good time anyway.

I was in Europe and performed in a concert at a Lutheran church (I am Lutheran). After the concert, the kegs of the congregation's special recipe lager came out, the liter steins were filled, and all imbibed with gusto.

No scantily clad or hooker looking women, but still not what I am used to in church. Fun times, though, and great beer.

Catholic churches often don't have a problem with alcohol. Churches that come out of the Puritan tradition tend to be more restrictive about it. Episcopalians are usually pretty cool about it, too.

Back