24-hour Christmas music radio - ugggghhhhh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonM

Reaction score
I hate this stuff so much. November 20, certain stations start switching to an all-Christmas music format. Essentially, they take 30 or so Christmas songs (you know the ones) and put them on loop for 5 weeks. Try to avoid it, but it's impossible because stores, restaurants, offices, etc. run that #$&@ 24-hours a day.

I hate the repetition of the same tired old songs. Once I had a project at a small village hall that lasted three days. They played that #*($ all. Freakin. Day. I could almost time what was coming on next. "Oh, it's the top of the hour. Time for Springsteen and the E Street Band doing Santa Claus is Coming to Town followed, of course, by Rockin Around the Christmas Tree."

And I hate how it's too damn early. I distinctly remember sitting in the local diner last year around this time. It was almost 60 degrees and there were leaves on the trees across the street and there's Burl Ives singing "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas." No it isn't. Shut up.

And I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate Carol of the Bells. I hate it straight, I hate it as a spoof, I hate it with vocals, I hate it a capella, I hate it instrumental. Everyone else seems to love it so it shows up EVERYwhere, including really stupid spoof versions in commercials.

I start getting into a place where I can enjoy Christmas music right after my birthday, so Dec. 20. I definitely have my favorites from the really heavy orchestral music, to the silly (love the Bob Rivers stuff, especially Me and Mrs. Claus) and stuff in the middle like the Vince Guaraldi records and Wynton Marsalis's excellent Crescent City Christmas (the lone exception to my Carol of the Bells rule), and my local college station does a killer Christmas Eve show where the host brings in hours and hours of great stuff.

But a seemingly neverending loop of "Last Christmas," "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime," "Holly Jolly Christmas," "War is Over," "All I want for Christams is You," "Jingle Bell Rock," "Santa Baby' (Eartha Kitt and the other one by whatsherstupidface), and Sarah McLachlan and Barenaked Ladies doing "We Three Kings" etc. that starts on Nov. 20? Bah Humbug.

Rant over.

I'm with you. a couple weeks ago I heard a Christmas song and about snapped. it's way too early and there's no reason to play only Christmas music. I hate spoof versions even worse than original versions of any and all Christmas songs.

Spoofs can be done well (That's why I like the Bob Rivers records) but the vast majority of them are really stupid.

A local musician/comedian does a good one: He plays a medley of Christmas songs, but switches "Santa Claus" and "Jesus Christ" so it's like "Here comes Jesus Christ, here comes Jesus Christ, right down Jesus Christ lane ... No crib for a bed, the little Lord Santa lay down his sweet head ... I saw Mommy kissing Jeeeeeesus Christ ..." Hilarious.

Another one is where David Sedaris sings Away in A Manger in his spot-on Billie Holiday impression.

My wife is somehow hooked on ridiculous Hallmark Christmas movies. She DVR's them and watches while I putter around or cook or whatever. They started airing this stupid things on November 1st.

I have 2 Christmas albums I'll allow played while I'm around. Sufjan Stevens' collected Chridtmas EP's, and Willie Nelson's Pretty Paper. If I still had Merle Haggard's that would also get a pass.

I only listen to the radio if I hafta, and public space intercom radio is just white noise. I do like Springsteen's "Santa", but I'm a huge Bruce nerd. "Last Christmas" does make me get stabby.

Some favorites from the college station shows:

A reggae song "Santa don' bring me not'ing. Not'ing"

Or Christmas in the Trailer Park: "Well the Christmas lights are up 'cuz we didn't take 'em down last year ..." and "Mama's out of rehab and Daddy's out of jail, It's Christmas in the trailer park again!"

A local radio station started with Christmas music on November 1.
A resident at my work likes the Hallmark movies, cats, and firefighters. I think I watched Nine Lives of Christmas a hundred times last year.

The college station usually holds off on Christmas stuff for a while, but I'm pretty sure I just heard a modern-day, gravel-voiced Bob Dylan reading "Twas the Night Before Christmas." I'm certain I just heard a modern-day, gravel-voiced Bob Dylan singing "Here Comes Santa Claus."

The college station usually holds off on Christmas stuff for a while, but I'm pretty sure I just heard a modern-day, gravel-voiced Bob Dylan reading "Twas the Night Before Christmas." I'm certain I just heard a modern-day, gravel-voiced Bob Dylan singing "Here Comes Santa Claus."

One of those might be Tom Waits.

Or Mr. Garrison singing "Merry f#&#ing Christmas!"

My FIL pulls out a great CD of bawdy Christmas songs before kids show up. That's one of them.

My wife would play Christmas music all year if she could. She has already started playing it in the house. It makes her happy so I need to allow it. This year I might try putting on headphones around the house. I foresee a lot of "huh? what?" this year.

I almost put on some Christmas music this weekend while doing stuff in the kitchen. But it's not quite Thanksgiving. That's really the beginning point for me.

I enjoy a few songs over and over, but I generally get tired of the same stuff being played again and again. That's why I have the entire Bob Rivers Christmas collection, and several Guitar instrumental albums and a host (pun intended) of other oddball stuff just to break up the monotony.

My favorites are the ones I can sing along with, or play air guitar to.

I am with you. But I absolutely abhor Christmas music. It is like any other song that your over-listen to or it becomes overplayed on the radio and you just want to smack someone. I do everything in my power to not go anywhere that could possibly be playing this torture during the holiday season.

My problem is that it is so overplayed in everything for so long at this time of the year that by the time I can stand maybe a week or so of it at the actual season that I am sick of it at the first note because I know I am going to be subjected to it for damn near two months. My family calls me a scrooge because I can not tolerate it at all. It is currently on par with Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville to me now. I have heard it enough that if I can go 4-5 years without I may be able to tolerate a couple playings.

I used to live in a town where one of the local stations would start it Thanksgiving day, and run it through the first week of January. Yeah, nothing like hearing those 25 or so burned-out Xmas songs still in heavy rotation on Jan 7.

But with Spotify, MP3 players, CDs, etc, the only time I hear Xmas music is when I'm in a store. I almost never listen to the radio anymore.

Yeah, it was a tradition to tune into a local downstate station on the way down to the in-law's for T-day. Since they split and we host T-day I'm going to miss it.

I don't get too tired of it since I can load up Pink Floyd, Van Halen, LZ, etc any time I want.

I'd MUCH rather listen to hours of Christmas tunes than a single COUNTRY song at the local Farm and Family store!

There's a radio station here that will be switching to all Christmas music soon. They were on this morning explaining that they know a lot of folks don't like it, but enough do to make the switch.

the only Christmas songs I can stand these days :

. also the only time I can stand Seal or children's choirs

Greg Lake - Father Christmas. found this AWESOME version on the YouTubes with Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull) on flute

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard a great description of Trans-Siberian Orchestra: "It's what would happen if Spinal Tap decided to make a Christmas record."

Christmas music that makes me shoot the radio: anything by chipmunks, anything comprised of dogs or cats barking/mewing, and (drumroll) the one about grandma getting run over by a reindeer.

But, I do like the season and the music. Yea, it starts too early. In my local newspaper, Earnest Hooper was complaining that Christmas has run over Thanksgiving. True. Halloween is next.

Just thought I drop this here, for the OP (I don't like rant threads :) ):

Last edited:
If you hate the Chipmunks (and who doesn't) look up Bob Rivers' "Chipmunks Roasting on and Open Fire."

Highlight: "AAaaaaaal-vin!!!!" "Uh, there's no more Alvin left, but there's plenty of Theodore!"

Worst. Xmas album. Ever.

It's a vocal group, singing various Xmas songs "moo-moo-moo-moo..." all the way through.

Several years ago at a company Christmas party our knucklehead manager thought this would be entertaining. Yeah, we had to endure the whole thing. It wasn't pretty.

51g4SifL%2B3L._SX300_.jpg

If you hate the Chipmunks (and who doesn't) look up Bob Rivers' "Chipmunks Roasting on and Open Fire."

Highlight: "AAaaaaaal-vin!!!!" "Uh, there's no more Alvin left, but there's plenty of Theodore!"

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrO42SnYAvs[/ame]

It ain't just the music... The wife and I went into both Home Depot and Lowe's in late October. Did you know there's apparently a new holiday called Christmoween? Or is it Hallowmas? I'm still not sure. But it appears to be the holiday that somehow combines both Halloween and Christmas at the same time. And then after Halloween is over, there's apparently yet another new holiday called Thanks-mas which is of course the combination Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm getting soooo tired of seeing Christmas stuff for sale in October...

It ain't just the music... The wife and I went into both Home Depot and Lowe's in late October. Did you know there's apparently a new holiday called Christmoween? Or is it Hallowmas? I'm still not sure. But it appears to be the holiday that somehow combines both Halloween and Christmas at the same time. And then after Halloween is over, there's apparently yet another new holiday called Thanks-mas which is of course the combination Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm getting soooo tired of seeing Christmas stuff for sale in October...

I saw candy canes presentations being set up in a store two days before halloween this year. Blasphemy.

Latest posts

Back