Need materials help: fireproof panel/board?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetcell

Protruding Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
hi folks -

SHORT VERSION: can anyone recommend a fireproof/flame-resistant/etc. board that I could use to prevent my BK's burner from melting the insulation on my mash-tun?

LONG VERSION: i'm putting together my brew stand and my boil kettle's burner (Blichmann Hellfire) seems dangerously close to my mash-tun. i fear that the heat from the BK will melt the Reflectix insulation i have around my MT. the BK burner sits higher than the MT's base:

ascii-brewstand.PNG

so my thought was to place some sort of a shield between the two, to deflect the heat that would otherwise hit the side of the MT. the simplest solution that i've come up with is to lean a fireproof panel of some sort against the MT. the MT is 12" away from the flame, so i believe heat will mostly be an issue while getting the BK up to boil. once boiling, the flame is backed off and shouldn't be a problem.

where it not cancerous, a 2'x2' panel of asbestos would fit my needs, but obviously that isn't recommended. should i look into MgO board? what is used to insulate a car's engine from the passenger compartment?

help!

(p.s. yes, i know, should have made the stand wider so that MT and BK aren't so close... my strut vendor disregarded my request for a wider stand and sent me the default length, can't send it back, grumble grumble...)

Last edited:
Cement board ought to work, is easily obtainable (though maybe not in such a small size as you actually need) and afaik isn't a known carcinogen (though I suppose silicosis would be an issue if machined improperly)...

Cheers!

Cement board ought to work, is easily obtainable (though maybe not in such a small size as you actually need)
awesome, thank you for the suggestion. i've looked into this, and i just might fit the bill. not too expensive at Home Depot, and looks like cutting it down to size isn't that hard.

if anyone else has other thoughts, please feel free to share - thanks!

Back