Need imitate feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrey

Reaction score
Ok, so I am in the middle of a 60 minute boil (30 minutes in). The recipe that the kit came with said to add the dry malt + liquid malt + hops.

We added the malts but forgot the starting hops. (it is a continental pilsner kit)

We realized that we forgot the hops 30 minutes into the boil at which point we added them.

The question is....

Should we boil for a full 60 minutes to give the hops all the time they need or just boil for another 30 minutes as to not over boil the malts.

We are new brewers (second brew now) and have no idea what to do. Yuri on the IRC said to compermise for 45 minutes but I wanted some more feedback.

Thanks for the quick feedback.

Boil the hops for 60 min for a total boil of 90 min.

Don't be concerned about boiling too much water off, you can always top up the carboy with as much water as you need :)

I am pretty sure but not positive of the information I am about to give you....But...The addition of hops at the begining of the boil is mostly for bittering. For the hops to release the majority of there bittering resin, a longer boil is require. This is why in 60 min the hops are for bittering and in 30 min they release flavor but did not have time to give the bittering off to full capability. So the choice is yours.....I feel that the 45 min compromise may be your best best. But I bet a true hopper would give the bittering hops a full 60 min. A longer boild will not damage anything else in your brew, it may just lead to a bit of carmalization of the sugars. which is not a bad thing...if you are not a perfectionist. Since this is your second brew, I dont think you would even notice the minor carmalizing effects....and you may notice the lack of hops....

Yep, mdf101 is exactly right... the shorter the boil, the less bitterness. If you really like Coors Light, maybe a 30 min boil is what you want. ;-)

60 min = hop bitterness because all of the flavor/aroma are boiled off.
30 min = hop flavor
<20 = hop aroma

...or something like that

What hasn't been mentioned is the effect of a longer boil on the malt...

With a longer boil, the beer will caramelize a bit more, adding a bit deeper, "darker" flavor to the beer as well as deepening the color. A pils should be light, so a longer boil may not be the answer.

I suggested 45 mins (75 total) as a compromise to achieve some measure of hop bitterness as well as preserve the color a bit. A little extra hop flavor is acceptable in a pils, but a little extra color and caramel flavor is not.

Yuri_Rage said:
What hasn't been mentioned is the effect of a longer boil on the malt...

With a longer boil, the beer will caramelize a bit more, adding a bit deeper, "darker" flavor to the beer as well as deepening the color. A pils should be light, so a longer boil may not be the answer.

I suggested 45 mins (75 total) as a compromise to achieve some measure of hop bitterness as well as preserve the color a bit. A little extra hop flavor is acceptable in a pils, but a little extra color and caramel flavor is not.

I agree; yay to 75 min

I am not opposed to a darker beer. Although a pilsner is supposed to be light I really enjoy dark beers. I think I would rather get a darker beer than lose the bitterness of the hops.

In 6 weeks I will have to tell you how it goes.

Thank you for all the feedback. We decieded to go with a 90 minute boil. Currently cooling the wort now.

I disagree with everyone else's input.

What you should have done (since you added your hops at 30 mins instead of 60) was double up on the hops and stop your boil at 60 mins like planned.

Doubling up your hops and reducing your boil in half (for 60 mins) is exactly the same amount of bittering extracted from the hops.

What that means is if you add one oz of bittering hops and boil for 60 mins you'll get the same bitterness if you used 2 oz of hops and boiled for 30 mins.

homebrewer_99 said:
What you should have done (since you added your hops at 30 mins instead of 60) was double up on the hops and stop your boil at 60 mins like planned.
That was also my first suggestion (in chat). He didn't have any extra hops to add.

I didn't have the option of adding more hops since it came in a kit and everything was pre-weighed.

Back