Need Hop advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmiltime

Reaction score
I have a handul of AG batches under my belt and am getting into a pretty good groove brewing about twice a month. I am looking at ways to cut some costs and I thought purchasing bulk hops might help me out a little. I would probably vacuum seal them in 1oz packs and keep them in a freezer to be used over the next year.

I am looking for advice as to what type of hops to stock up on. I want to be able to be as versatile as possible while still be able to brew beer that I prefer. I like to brew beers like; weizen, scotch ale, pale ale, brown ale, and belgian ale. Obviously, I may brew other types (ales onlly right now), but want to be able to cover as many of these with 4-5 types of hops.

As of right now I am looking at:
- cascade
- hallertau
- williamette
- U.S. golding
- Fuggle

Once again, I am looking at getting 4-5 types. Any input that would maximize my options would be appreciated.

Thanks

I think that lists looks good. If it were me however I would either choose Williamette or Fuggle, not both and sub the US Golding for EKG. Then I would buy a clean high alpha bittering hop like Magnum. Of course my hops list is about 15 long, so I would buy more. LOL

As of right now I am looking at:
- cascade
- hallertau
- williamette
- U.S. golding
- Fuggle

Once again, I am looking at getting 4-5 types. Any input that would maximize my options would be appreciated.

Thanks

Oh that is a pretty good list. For me, I'd go:

- Cascade
- Hallertau
- Target
- East Kent Goldings
- Fuggles

Or sub Tettnanger for Fuggles...

Damn its harder to narrow it down to 5 than I thought.

No kidding! i didn't think 5 would be hard at all. I was looking a the East Kent goldings and agree with you guys that it's probably a better pick than the U.S. Goldings. I also like the idea of a high alpha acid type like magnum. Good advice guys.

Nice list, pretty close to what you need. Add a high-alpha hop, as suggested (Magnum), sub EKG for the US Goldings, and Tettnanger for Fuggles, then you'll be set to brew just about every style you listed.

Latest posts

Back