Need Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmo Peach

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Smash ale under way, it is in a Fermzilla all rounder under pressure. I have A Tilt in fermenter so I get readings all the time. Starting SG was 1.056. I used a malt I got from a company going out of business (50 # for $35 CND.) I used 11 pounds of malt a Kievk La Brew dry yeast and Magnum hops (12 AA hop 1/2 oz.@60 1/4oz.@30) Brew in Robobrew, mash 156 F for an hour boil for an hour chilled to 23 pitched yeas. I di not have oxygen which I usually use. I did aerate the wort.

That was last Saturday the fermentation was very active SG dropped to 1.025 and now for two days it has not moved. Is ther any thing I can do to start the fermentation again?

Have you pulled a sample to confirm with a hydrometer reading?

Tilts can be off as much as 10 points if crud gets stuck to the top of them. I would gently rock the fermenter for about 5-10 seconds to move the Tilt around. Then, as @marc1 says, you can always take a hydrometer reading.

SG hasn't moved for 2 days? I don't see that in itself as an issue. Since I've started using a Rapt Pill which is similar to a tilt, I've noticed that after the bulk of the fermentation is over in the first 36 to 72 hours then it might take 4 days and even more to drop an additional point.

If you haven't, I'd confirm the SG with a hydrometer at this point just to be certain the Tilt isn't giving a false value for some reason.

What temps are you fermenting at?
2 days at 40°C (104°F)
3-4 days at 30°C (86°F)
5-7 days at 25°C (77°F)
https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/canada/product-details/lalbrew-voss-kveik-ale-yeast/
So if you are fermenting cooler, maybe raise the temp and see if it starts back. Otherwise I'm thinking you are done fermenting all the sugars that your yeast cares to use.

Though I've never used any of the Kveik yeast strains.

If you are concerned that your brew is going to wind up with a higher than expected FG, then that might be a different discussion.

SG hasn't moved for 2 days? I don't see that in itself as an issue. Since I've started using a Rapt Pill which is similar to a tilt, I've noticed that after the bulk of the fermentation is over in the first 36 to 72 hours then it might take 4 days and even more to drop an additional point.

If you haven't, I'd confirm the SG with a hydrometer at this point just to be certain the Tilt isn't giving a false value for some reason.

What temps are you fermenting at?

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/canada/product-details/lalbrew-voss-kveik-ale-yeast/
So if you are fermenting cooler, maybe raise the temp and see if it starts back. Otherwise I'm thinking you are done fermenting all the sugars that your yeast cares to use.

Though I've never used any of the Kveik yeast strains.

If you are concerned that your brew is going to wind up with a higher than expected FG, then that might be a different discussion.
Temperature 72 F to 70 F

Latest posts

Back