Need Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sefrayser

Reaction score
I am making my second batch and my wife read the instructions wrong. She said to add the extract after we steeped the grain before boil......well it was supposed to boil and then add the extract. Is my beer ruined?

I'm new too but the only thing I would make sure is that the bottom of your boil pot wasn't scorched with the extract but I would just keep going with it and not worry about it. Just the opinion if a new guy I've done three batches so far so I could be wrong but I think it will be fine

No issues. Certainly not ruined.

The only thing is if you wait until the end to add some (or most) of your extract, that can lessen the darkening. That is mostly just visual, though.

You're good. The whole ides with the boil is for the hops and sterilize everything. As long as you didn't bring the grains to a boil you're good.

I steeped the grains at 150 on the button for 30 minutes. We then mixed in the malt extract with the pot off the burner, and now Im bringing it to a boil. The only thing is we did wrong is added the malt before the boil but it is not sticking on the bottom. It is all resolved.

I steeped the grains at 150 on the button for 30 minutes. We then mixed in the malt extract with the pot off the burner, and now Im bringing it to a boil. The only thing is we did wrong is added the malt before the boil but it is not sticking on the bottom. It is all resolved.

The difference in solubility between 150 degree water and boiling water is minimal. The critical part is the stirring so the malt extract dissolves instead of settling to the bottom where it can scorch. You're good.

Latest posts

Back