need help with what to get

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostnfoam

Reaction score
im going to start makeing a move towards AG but i figure ill start with mini mashes first. just want to know what would be good to get to make the process easyer and easy to move to all AG.
right now this is what i have
5 gal ss pot
wort chiller
auto siphen
funnels
2 6.5, and 2 5 gal carboys
small nylon grain bag
mix sitr
air locks and other stuff
digital thermomoter, triple scale hydrometer

lostnfoam said:
im going to start makeing a move towards AG but i figure ill start with mini mashes first. just want to know what would be good to get to make the process easyer and easy to move to all AG.
right now this is what i have
5 gal ss pot
wort chiller
auto siphen
funnels
2 6.5, and 2 5 gal carboys
small nylon grain bag
mix sitr
air locks and other stuff
digital thermomoter, triple scale hydrometer

I have the same setup with the exception of the wort chiller. I am also making the move to AG, I'm not even going to worry about mini mash. I mean if your going to put the work into it, might as well go all out.
So this is what I'm buying:

at least 10 gal kettle (not sure whether it's going to be a pot or a used keg)
10 gal round rubbermaid cooler
wort chiller, immersion most likely but I haven't ruled out a CFC
SS ball valve for the kettle and cooler
I'm going to make a manifold for the cooler instead of the false bottom I think.
Probably going to need another plastic bucket for my hot liquor tank.
I am using my works' propane burner, which is nice as I don't have to buy that too. I think I have all my bases covered with this setup. My next brew will be an IPA and it will be AG. I will have to rely on the HBS for their grains until I purchase a grain mill...but that should work for a while.

Dan

10 gallon pot. & burner, if you don't have one.

You can either get a 5-10 gallon cooler or convert the 5 gallon kettle to a mash tun. The cooler makes it easier to keep the temperatures stable and lets you use the old kettle to heat sparge water.

david_42 said:
10 gallon pot. & burner, if you don't have one.

You can either get a 5-10 gallon cooler or convert the 5 gallon kettle to a mash tun. The cooler makes it easier to keep the temperatures stable and lets you use the old kettle to heat sparge water.

that's a bit short - howz about a 20 gallon kettle a 20 gallon hlt and a 15 gallon mlt - that'll have you set atleast for a year when 50 gallon brews sounds like the thing to do :)

brewhead said:
that's a bit short - howz about a 20 gallon kettle a 20 gallon hlt and a 15 gallon mlt - that'll have you set atleast for a year when 50 gallon brews sounds like the thing to do :)

At that rate, if you brew more than twice a year you are breaking the law:confused:

I am making baby steps towards AB brewing. I just bought a sparge bag that fits a 5 or 6 gallon bucket, and I had a bucket with a spigot already from a craigslist find. I did my first true partial mash last weekend in a 3 gallon ss pot on the stove, batch sparged in the bucket with the bag, and hit the OG perfectly. I am thinking of doing my first AG this weekend using this method. So really, that is the minumum you need, but then again I borrow my 7 gallon brew pot and immersion cooler from a neighbor so I am ahead of the game.

Back