need help with the next step?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanrock18

Reaction score
Hi ive been brewing with extract kits for a few months now but want to improve my beer a bit. Im not very educated on partial extract boiling and so on so..
My plan is to buy 1 can of lme plus water boil it up in a small stock pot (thats all ive got) then boil some holps in it once i decide which ones, then put into fermenter and top up with water to temp and pitch yeast,

My main questons are can i use just one can of lme(most recipies ive seen suggest two?) do i need to steep some grains ? And is there a general rule about the volume of the boil?
Any help or advice about the whole process would be appreciated,
Cheers, dean

My main questons are can i use just one can of lme(most recipies ive seen suggest two?)

do i need to steep some grains ?

And is there a general rule about the volume of the boil? Any help or advice about the whole process would be appreciated,

Cheers, dean

- If the recipe says use two cans, that is what I would use. Using less than the recipe calls for will result in a lower Original Gravity (OG).

- You do not have to steep any grains, you can if you want. I haven't done extract in awhile, but I believe that would be "Extract with specialty grains"

- Depending on your equipment and how vigorous the boil is, you may loose anywhere from .5 - 1 gallon of wort. However, with a extract batch, you can make that up when you use the top off water in the carboy.

Cheers
:mug:

Thanks for the reply i havent actually settled on a recepie because i havent found one with just one can, id like to keep it one can to keep costs down,
Do can you recomend any?

Depneds on the batch size. I don't think that one can will be enough for a 5 gallons batch. Might I suggest going to this site and enter some ingredients and batch sizes to see what you get. There are a bunch of web sites that do the same function as the hopville site. That is what I used before I purchased beer smith.

Back