Need Help with recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK so my grandpa has given me a 5 gallon bucket full of raw red winter wheat, and i would like nothing more than to turn that into a delicious "wit" style beer. Here is the recipe i would like to follow but need advice/recommendations before i brew. Also this is my first all grain batch

Batch size 10 gallons

10 lbs 6 row Malt
9 lbs raw red winter wheat
1 lbs quaker oats
1 lbs rice hulls
2 oz hallertau hops
1.5 oz coriander
1.5 oz bitter orange peal

Basic brewing process:

Mix crushed raw wheat and oats and boil together for 60 minutes "cereal mash"

Add the "cereal mash" to the regular mash "consisting of rice hulls and 6 row malt" and mash together for 60 minutes at 155 degrees

Fly sparge from mash tun into keggle with 170 degree sparge water

add 2 oz hops at 60 minute boil
add 1.5 oz coriander at 5 minute boil
add 1.5 oz bitter orange peel at 5 minute boil

Innoculate with a wheat beer strain.

PLease feel free to criticize or offer suggestions

Monster grain bill for a Wit. What is your target OG? Too much 2 row IMHO for a wheat based beer. Cut that back 1/2-1/3. Use flaked oats not Quaker Oats - you will gunk up your MT despite the rice hulls. I would cut back to 1/2 lb on the oats. Add late hops - say 1/2-1 oz of Hallertau or other noble hops @ 5/10/flameout. Is crushed raw wheat the same as milled wheat? Add the coriander + orange at the 15 minute mark (along with a clairfying agent).

Monster grain bill for a Wit. What is your target OG? Too much 2 row IMHO for a wheat based beer. Cut that back 1/2-1/3.
Im shooting for about 5.5% alcohol. Do you mean to cut the entire grain bill by 1/2 to 1/3 or just cut the 6 row barley by 1/2 to 1/3?

"Use flaked oats not Quaker Oats - you will gunk up your MT despite the rice hulls. I would cut back to 1/2 lb on the oats."
Thanks for the tip.

"Add late hops - say 1/2-1 oz of Hallertau or other noble hops @ 5/10/ flameout."
Would you recommend additional hops or just setting aside some of the first addition?

Im shooting for about 5.5% alcohol. Do you mean to cut the entire grain bill by 1/2 to 1/3 or just cut the 6 row barley by 1/2 to 1/3?

*No, just cut the 2 row back (I guess that you are using 6 row) You might want to use 2 Row in place of some of the 6 Row. I don't use 6 Row even though we grow it around these parts. You are brewing a Wit and you have that nice wheat so that should be the focus.

"Use flaked oats not Quaker Oats - you will gunk up your MT despite the rice hulls. I would cut back to 1/2 lb on the oats."
Thanks for the tip.

"Add late hops - say 1/2-1 oz of Hallertau or other noble hops @ 5/10/ flameout."
Would you recommend additional hops or just setting aside some of the first addition?

*I would add additional hops but I am a hop head. The late additions will be for flavor and aroma and won't add any bitterness. It depends on your personal preference.

So if this is raw wheat will it even convert or will there just be a huge amount of unfermentables?

So if this is raw wheat will it even convert or will there just be a huge amount of unfermentables?

I only use flaked and torrified raw wheat so I really can't help you with the fermentability of whole raw red wheat. I would do some research on it before brewing with it. I do know it will cloud the beer up but that is fine for a Wit.

Back