Need help with power to garage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am starting to run power out to the garage for my electric brewing needs, and had some questions about what to do with the power once in the garage.

We are running 240V 50A out to the garage, for the brewery plus lighting and outlets. My setup (at least for now) is a 5500W 240V BK and a HLT with a 2200W 120V heatstick. The way I have my control panel setup is, only one thing at a time can be turned on, either the BK, the HLT or the chugger pump. I will also have a keezer and some sort of fermentation chamber.

The plan was to have all the power enter the garage into a 50A spa panel. From here I will have the 50A gfi breaker from the spa panel, through some sort of outlet, go to the brewhouse control panel, then add a few other 15 and 20 amp breakers for some other lights and outlets around the garage.

What is the best way to connect to my control box? Should I run some 6awg to a 4 prong outlet, and get a range power cord? Or see if I can add another breaker (30 or 40A) and run some 8 or 10 AWG?

Or is this whole plan screwed up?

Thanks

The best way would be to hard wire it if you setup is in a fixed spot. Otherwise I believe you approach would work. Make sure you run a voltage drop calculation to determine what gauge cable you need from your main panel. Also, dont forget you need four conductor.

If you plan on running a 50a brew panel ever I strongly suggest running a minimum 60a sub feed circuit it the garage. Otherwise if you're going with the standard 30a set up you will only need 10awg wire to your control box. You see often people using dryer or range receptacles, a lot of times folks are just using the power that is already there and that is the the type of recept that is already in place I personally prefer twistlock type receptacles for all of my connections. In particular for things things that get unplugged and replugged between brews. Main for this is I've seen far too many straight blade type recepts fail (I probably see one or two a month) with a straight blade type recept it's possible for the plug to be energized before it is completely pushed in.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Also, if you are planning a 30a panel you are correct to set it up so only one element runs at once, but you will have enough headroom to run the pump at the same time as one element. I would imagine that at some point you might want to do so, to recirculate and ameliorate temperature stratification.

The best way would be to hard wire it if you setup is in a fixed spot. Otherwise I believe you approach would work. Make sure you run a voltage drop calculation to determine what gauge cable you need from your main panel. Also, dont forget you need four conductor.

Just curious why you need 4 conductor. I had a conversation about this the other day with an electrician and it seems the reason would be you need a neutral to return electricity? I am pretty sure I ran 3 conductor when I did my garage. What kinda problems could one expect when I switch to electric elements next month?

You need 4 conductors for 220V - 2 hots, neutral, and ground. Some wire lists this as 3 + ground. (If you are only running 110V, 1 hot, neutral and ground)

Per code, you can only tie neutral and ground together at the main beaker panel. All sub panels must have ground and neutral on separate bus bars.

You need 4 conductors for 220V - 2 hots, neutral, and ground. Some wire lists this as 3 + ground. (If you are only running 110V, 1 hot, neutral and ground)

Per code, you can only tie neutral and ground together at the main beaker panel. All sub panels must have ground and neutral on separate bus bars.

I'm pretty sure most 220 appliace outlets are 3 wire (2 hot, 1 ground)? Iirc. Perhaps due to phase cancellation? Or perhaps code has changed since my house was built 20 years ago?

I'm pretty sure most 220 appliace outlets are 3 wire (2 hot, 1 ground)? Iirc. Perhaps due to phase cancellation? Or perhaps code has changed since my house was built 20 years ago?

and the ground is an equipment ground a 220/240 element will run with just two hot legs

but the ground to the pot is for safety

all the best

S_M

Back