Need Help with Mash Tun Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CereousBrewer

Reaction score
I have been brewing with two, 15 gallon megapots for the HLT and BK while using a 70 quart Coleman Xtreme for the mash tun...works great. I brew mainly 5 gallon batches, with an occasional 10 gallon batch.

I have the opportunity to have a SS Brutus rig welded for a VERY reasonable price and can't turn it down. I want to direct fire and recirculate the mash tun and was thinking I would just get another 15 gallon megapot with a false bottom. The false bottoms sold by Northern Brewer are approximately 2.5" off the bottom, which translates to about 2.75 gallons in the "idle space" of the kettle. Considering most of my mash water volumes are between 3 and 4.5 gallons (assuming 1.33 qt/lb grain) I don't think there would be adequate water to mix with the grain on top of the screen.

I'd rather not buy two kettles, one for five gallon batches and one for ten gallon batches, but was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how you resolved it. :confused:

Appreciate your replies and Merry Christmas!

IMO, you are making an excellent choice on the Megapot to use as a mash tun. I say this primarily because it has the aluminum clad bottom. The clad bottom will distribute the heat much better than an ordinary SS kettle with a non-clad bottom. It's a major improvement.

I may be wrong, but I highly suspect that the FB is not that far above the bottom of the kettle. Where did you get that information? I would guess that there is only a little more than one gallon below the FB. I'm using a 10 gallon Polarware kettle for my MT and it has about a one gallon volume below the FB. I typically use a 1.5 qts/lb water to grain ratio and sometimes a low as 1.2 qts/lb. I ignore the volume below the FB. This has worked very well for me. If the Megapot FB actually is that high above the bottom I can see where that could be an issue. Perhaps the 10 gallon version would be a better choice. I would check on that information again. It doesn't seem right to me. Anyone out there have a 15 gallon Megapot w/FB that could confirm this information? I'm interested in this as I am planning to buy a Megapot in the near future.

Hi Catt22, thanks for the reply. I called NB yesterday and they measured the leg height on the false bottom, telling me it was 2.5". I poured three gallons of water in my 15 gallon megapot and it measured 2.75 inches, which is why I'm thinking I may have a problem.

I'm thinking of sending a note to Jaybird and see if he can fabricate one with really short legs and place it below my valve and run a dip tube through the bottom.

Hi Catt22, thanks for the reply. I called NB yesterday and they measured the leg height on the false bottom, telling me it was 2.5". I poured three gallons of water in my 15 gallon megapot and it measured 2.75 inches, which is why I'm thinking I may have a problem.

I'm thinking of sending a note to Jaybird and see if he can fabricate one with really short legs and place it below my valve and run a dip tube through the bottom.

That sounds like a good plan. Be sure an post back. I'd like to know more about this as well.

Back