need help with cherry beer for beginners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sphere

Reaction score
hello,

I have brewed 2 batches of beer till now. (simple pale ale)

I used beginners recipe which includes bag of malt which i soaked and boiled in the pot, malt (syrup), hops, 1kg of sugar, boiling the ingredients for about an hour, cooling it fast, add some yeast and store it all (20 litters) for 7 days.
after the first 7 days, I transfer the beer to bottles with corn sugar and store them for another 2-3 weeks.

now to my question:
I want to try a simple cherry/fruit beer to add to this simple recipe.
could someone please point me how to alter my easy recipe so it will include cherry?
should i just mash fresh cherries and add them to the second fermentation? will that be ok or is it a lot more complicated than that?

big thanks

thanks,

that was helpful.
few things left unanswered:

1. do I need to pasteurise the fruits or not? if yes then how? just heating it in a pan?
if not, then just mashing it and throwing it to the beer?

2. wont the fruit plug the tube even when extracting the juice from it? it is a thick substance.

3. I want to use fresh cherries. is there a better or easy thing to use?

4. how many cherries do I need for 20 litters (4-5 gallons)?

Thanks

1. I would follow Yooper's advice here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/how-pasteurize-fruit-281866/

2. Yes, fruit clogs everything up in my experience, I ended up racking with a paint strainer over my racking cane and my brew in a bag grain bag in my bottling bucket.

3. cherry purees are the easiest, already sanitized and chopped, just dump them in, homebrew stores have them. Cherry extracts are even easier but some say they taste like cough medicine, you can buy them online.

4. 3-5 lbs for a lighter beer (wheat, blonde, etc) , 5-10 lbs for a darker beer (porter, stout, brown, etc).

Back