Need help with beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombo1488

Reaction score
i just brewed my second batch of beer and put two carbonation tablets in the 500ml bottles and let sit somewhere warm for a week then moved them down to the cold but when i was moving them i noticed the bottle caps weren't on tight so i tightened them and left them for a week. I am just trying a beer now tonight but there is no fizz or bubbles when i pour it into my glass. I was wondering should i open the rest and add a teaspoon of sugar to help carbonate them to get a bit more fizz into them?

Thanks in advance.

It's all about the experience Tombo. :)
I'm gonna guess that two carb tabs in a pint is near the bottom end for carb even when the caps are tight. For sure you lost some carb on the loose ones during that first week.
Also, a good rule of thumb for carb time is 3 weeks at 70 degrees F. Moving them to the cool after only a week will slow the carb way, way down.
They might eventually carb if you bring them back to the warm temps. And in the meantime - mixing them with another carb'ed up beer is a good way to go. We mix 'em here often anyway just to find a new taste.

I dunno about re-priming at this point. But it will work if you are sanitary about it.

At this point,try putting them in a place that's 70F or a bit more for 2-3 more weeks. Make sure the caps are really tight. Those screw on plastic caps,like on Cooper's PET bottles have to be really tight to seal well.

I agree with the others, I'd lean toward just giving them more time in the bottle at 70 degrees. Let them do their thing and spend some time creating some new bottles for your next batch. If you add sugar now, there is a chance that there is still some unfermented priming sugar left over in the beer that will result in too much carbonation.

Thats great thanks for the advice. I was looking forward to drinking them on my week off for Easter but will just have to wait haha. this is only my second batch so suppose its just trial and error for a while. I have those PET bottles and found the caps came loose on my first batch so tightened them again but forgot to do it on this batch.

I've heard of this issue. Very surprising to me, but apparently it is somewhat common to have the caps come loose. If I ever use PET again, I am going to check them daily to ensure they don't come loose.

Back