Need help selecting my first extract beer recipe kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMS

Reaction score
I am looking for an extract brewing kit that might get me close to a Samuel Adams Boston Ale "style" of beer; any suggestions on this?

Seeing as how I've never had that particular beer I can only speculate on a extract kit that shares similar hops and malts. It looks like on sam adams web page that their Boston Ale uses 2 row and crystal plus East Kent Goldings and Fuggles. It also has a pretty low abv. I would say anything from a simple pale ale to a extra special bitter.

Maybe try: Extra Special Bitter Extract Kit w/ Specialty Grains from Northern Brewer. Or just look at other recipes on there that match those hops and malts.

Thanks for researching that! I bought a 6 pack of this a few days ago due to recommendations on this forum that I need to start brewing with an Ale rather than a Lager. But its been so long since I tried an Ale I had to go out and buy some, and I have to say this was really good! Anyways on the bottle it said it was an American style Ale but that's as far as I know since brewing is all new to me. So based on that I was looking at this kit:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/recipe-kits/extract-kits/extract-ale-kits/american-amber-ale-extract-kit.html

Yeah that one would be a good basic ale kit to start with. Really when you go for brewing an ale the options are endless. All I can say is that once you find out what kind of hops and profiles you enjoy, you'll be able to make really well informed decisions on what kind of kits to order.

When I did my first extract kit I followed the recipe exactly and it turned out great. Once you learn more about the process you can deviate from the recipes based on experience. First brew day is the best, have fun :)

that amber ale kit will be a good beer, but the hop flavor will be different than the hop flavor in the Sam Adams Boston Ale. It seems to get very good reviews on NB's site. I couldn't find a list of ingredients for the kit, but one of the reviews mentioned it had cascade hops, which are quite different than East Kent Goldings and Fuggles.

Yeah that is true. Definitely more american hop focused. The only brews on NB that use Noble hops are the British/Belgian kits.

Yeah that is true. Definitely more american hop focused. The only brews on NB that use Noble hops are the British/Belgian kits.

You know now that you say this the bottle also said ...spiced with English hops, sweetened with caramel malts, fermented as an ale, and aged at cool temps...

I guess I just need to start a brew and get on with it!

An English bitter will def be too dark & malty to be close to the SABA. It's more of a pale ale with a touch of sweetness.

Latest posts

Back