Need help scaling recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmv

Reaction score
I've got a Citra IPA that I recently won my local Pro-Am with (will be competing at the GABF with it).

Anyways, I'm trying to make a version of it on steroids. The original recipe is quite simple, and is 93/7 2row/C60. It's a 6% abv beer with 55IBUs. Anyways, the new version of it I wanna make is going to be 11% ABV, and 150IBUs.

My question -- is scaling that grain bill gonna super-oversweeten my beer? I need to make sure I get the same amount of sweetness, but at the 11% ABV level. I'm concerned that if I simply upscale the C60 amount in the same 93/7 proportion as before, that I'm going to have a beer that's too sweet.

Thoughts?

I'm concerned that if I simply upscale the C60 amount in the same 93/7 proportion as before, that I'm going to have a beer that's too sweet.

Leave the amount of C60 the same as in the current recipe and bump up the amount of pale malt to your new target OG.

You may even want to swap 5–10% of the grist for table sugar (sucrose) added in the kettle. (Sucrose is 100% fermentable, so it boosts your OG, but not your FG.) That is common in dIPA formaulations.

Chris Colby
Editor
beerandwinejournal.com

That's exactly what I'm gonna do, after consulting with a friend who did a 120min clone.

I'm gonna take it to 9% or so naturally, then use corn sugar to hit 11% and dry it out.

Thanks for the info guys!

Back