Need help recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoaoPCF

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here and a relatively new BIAB brewer. A friend told me I could use some of his stuff and I was wondering if you guys can give me a hand coming up with a recipe.

Hops
Lemon drop
Citra
Sorachi ace
Mosaic
Simcoe*
Hallertauer
Saaz

Malt
Crystal Brown*
150 EBC
60 EBC
Roasted wheat

Yeast
Nottingham*

I'm keen on maybe using the crystal brown and 60 EBC to get to 11ish SRM, roasted wheat to add some head retention, hallertauer as bittering hop and simcoe as late addition hop.

What do you guys think? All suggestions are welcome. cheers

what are you using for a base malt, the brown?
& what is EBC, a crystal malt?
& what style are you shooting for?

I was thinking about doing a nice englishy, piney amber using the nottingham. not sure about the ebc, going to ask. And some english or american base malt, never tried crystal as base but I guess that it would be very sweet.

what are you using for a base malt, the brown?
& what is EBC, a crystal malt?
& what style are you shooting for?

I was thinking about doing a nice englishy, piney amber using the nottingham. not sure about the ebc, going to ask. And some english or american base malt, never tried crystal as base but I guess that it would be very sweet.

Welcome to the Hobby, First off Crystal cant be used as a base malt, the yeast cant eat that type of sugar. Second, you should try switching it around for your hops, Hallertauer is a Aroma hop and Simcoe is a Bittering hop. they Dont need to be used that way but there is a reason they are classified like that. and Hallertauer is a more of a sutle aroma hop. try pairing the Simcoe with a citrus hop to balance the flavors nicely. (Citra, or Mosaic)
The EBC is like SRM for Color of your grain just a European standard. SRM = EBC x 0.5 so i am guessing those are crystal malts
Wheat is good for head retention, but if it is midnight wheat ( looks black) that you mean by roasted Wheat, it will turn your brew very dark by the time you get enough of it in there to help with the head.

Hope this helps a little and i dont come off sounding like a d**K, hahaha again welcome to the hobby and hope your first brew turns out really nice!

yeah, I was gonna say you can't use the brown as a base malt because it has no DP but I reckon you know that already.
I think your plan sounds ok. personally I'd swap flaked wheat for the "roasted" & use mosaic for your late addition if piney is what your after.
if it were me I'd make a brown ale but I love brown ale made with brown malt.
mmmmmmmm

Hi everyone thanks for all your help, decided to do a Pale Ale in the end, let you know how it turned in a few weeks.

9g CaCL
5g CaSO4

5kg Pale Malt
250g Crystal Malt (60EBC)
200g CrystalMalt (80EBC)

13g Simcoe (60m)
20g Lemon Drop (30m)
7g Irish Moss (20m)
30g Lemon Drop (5m)

US-05 Dry Yeast

Brew-1.jpg

Brew-2.jpg