Need help reading water quality report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurlingBrew

Reaction score
I need your help reading my water report so i can fill out my Beersmith mineral profile. Attached you will find my water quality report (community circled) and Beermith profile requirements.

Do I even have the info beersmith is asking for or do I need a more detailed report?

Thank you in advance!:mug:

water.jpg

mineral profile.jpg

Based on the ranges provided in the few ions they report, you are probably better off having the capability to use RO water. However as you found, that report is not sufficient for telling you the info we brewers need. You would likely have to get a water test yourself.

Agreed. The ranges are so wide as to be unuseable and probably unpredictable for any given time of year. If it varies that widely, the water is probably a giant question mark every time you use it. If so, a solid baseline like RO gives you peace of mind.

Based on the ranges provided in the few ions they report, you are probably better off having the capability to use RO water. However as you found, that report is not sufficient for telling you the info we brewers need. You would likely have to get a water test yourself.

That's what I was thinking. Thought maybe I was missing something.

Thanks for taking a quick look.

Agreed. The ranges are so wide as to be unuseable and probably unpredictable for any given time of year. If it varies that widely, the water is probably a giant question mark every time you use it. If so, a solid baseline like RO gives you peace of mind.

Sorry, what is RO? :drunk:

Reverse Osmosis. You can also go with distilled or a low mineral content spring water (some will say NO! but that is what I brew with).

Would a simple water filter kit like ones found on homebrew websites help me in anyway or should I not waste my money and pursue a more effective solution?

A simple water filter does not remove ions from water. So if the water has high sulfate, chloride, etc. it will still have that high content after filtering with that unit. You must use a RO unit to remove ions.

Latest posts

Back