Need help on water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ale to the Chief

Reaction score
Ok, so I am going to be brewing my 2nd all grain batch this weekend. The first one I used bottled spring water but doing that ends up adding another $10 to my batch of beer.

So I have been reading this forum trying to figure out if it's ok to use tap water. There seem to be some people who say that if you would drink it you can brew with it. Seems like there are others who believe it needs to have the right balance of minerals/nutrients/whatever.

I'd like to use my tap water this weekend but don't want to waste $25 on a bad batch of beer if it's going to ruin it. If my water happens to not be the right profile for brewing what impacts am I looking at? Bad efficiency? Off flavors? I am looking to get some more opinions. The recipe I am brewing is Ed Wort's Haus Pale Ale.

Thanks for any advice you have to give!

the water tastes fine to me...we drink it (whether we should or shouldn't). i do know it's hard water though. it leaves a crapload of white minerally stuff in any pot where i boil water.

There's got to be someone on your Chicago water system that knows their profile.

yeah...i'm not actually in chicago though..maybe i should change that. I am in a suburb of chicago that uses a private well for it's water.

Hey by the way you are the reason I finally went all grain. I had your guide sitting right beside me every step of the way for my first all grain and will again this weekend. it is great!

Back