Need help on my shine .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessevictory

Reaction score
Hi guys been a mead maker for about a year now , but just bought a copper still so I wanna make some lightning .

Every apple pie recipe I see is all 80 proof . How do I get to 100-120 proof I cannot find any recipes or videos explaining the process of what increases ABV from a standard 40% I don’t wanna make something I can just buy the same ABV at the grocery store . Anyone have any good recipes ? Or can explain how you increase the proof higher then all the recipes you see online for 80 proof

watch the temp at the top of the column? adjust heat intensity... i think even with a little air still, you'd be getting around 80% at first.

i would worry about throat damage with booze like that though....aging on wood should be done at 65%, and when it comes time to drink 50/50 cask strength/ water...so ~35%....

Last edited:
The distillate typically comes off at much higher than 100 proof, and you actually have to dilute it to get the proof lower. When you collect the distillate, do it in many small containers so that you can test each fraction for proof and taste. You will need a special hydrometer (or refractometer) that reads alcohol/water solutions (SG less than 1.000) rather than the sugar/water hydrometers that are used in brewing and wine & mead making.

Edit: Search "alcohol hydrometer" on Amazon (or your favorite shopping site) for lots of choices.

Brew on :mug:

Last edited:
1678647045704.png

:mug:

Back