Need Help on first beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogoman

Reaction score
Hey I'm going to brew my first beer and use BeerMuncher's centennial blonde 5 gal extract version and want to make sure I do it correctly before starting. Recipe is this:

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

I'm confused about the beginning with the carapils...Am I supposed to heat the water with the carpils in it until 170 degrees, then remove the carpils, bring it to a boil, then add the malt extract? Or is there another way of doing this?
Thanks

You are right with the carapils. Another way is to heat the water and carapils to 150-155, and hold that temp for 20 to 30 minutes. Either way works, but the way you described is usually easier.

Hey Rogoman-I agree with Jake, it's easiest to have the carapils in your kettle from the beginning and pull it when the water reaches 168-170 degrees. Then bring your water to a boil and add your malt extract. Hope everything goes well!

JakeFegely said:
You are right with the carapils. Another way is to heat the water and carapils to 150-155, and hold that temp for 20 to 30 minutes. Either way works, but the way you described is usually easier.

This is steeping the grains. You are pulling out some of the flavor and color but not much of the sugar. For an extract recipe that's essentially what your after.

Back