Need help figuring out what I can make with spare ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talnev

Reaction score
Hey, I'm pretty new to homebrewing, but I've got several spare ingredients from kits that I ended up not making. Could someone help me form them into something that wouldn't suck? I'd really like to do a chocolate coffee stout, but I don't know how to begin!

Anyway, if someone could help in any way, this is what I have ...

3.15lb rye lme
6lb rye lme
6lb gold lme
8oz caramel 40
.5lb briess black malt
.5lb english dark crystal malt
1lb english chocolate malt
A single bag from a kit containing: .25lb english dark crystal, .25lb weyermann carared, .063lb roasted barley, and .25 lbs victory
Hops: 1oz nugget, 2oz palisade, 2oz centennial, 1oz cascade

This is always a fun game to play. I find myself making recipes around "left overs" all the time.

While not a Stout, you could do an American Rye Porter:

6lb Gold LME
3.15 Rye LME
8oz Caramel 40 (steep)
8oz English Dark Crystal (steep)
1lb Chocolate Malt (steep)

1oz Nugget @ 60
2oz Centennial @ 0

If you're not too keen on the grapefruit/citrus aroma from Centennial, you could swap it for Palisade.

Good luck!

That sounds good, but will the 2oz of hops at 0 mins give it a very hoppy taste? I actually have the full kit for a rye ipa, but ... I hate ipa. :p And do you think coffee could be added to this?

Rye IPA

75% Gold LME
15% Rye LME
8oz Caramel 40
4oz Chocolate Malt

1-1.5 oz (adjust for desired IBU) Nugget @60
1 oz Centennial @ 5
0.5 Cascade @ 5

1 oz Centennial Dry Hop
0.5 oz Cascade Dry Hop

Edit: just saw you posted and don't like IPA. Can always adjust IBU's for Pale Ale.

That sounds good, but will the 2oz of hops at 0 mins give it a very hoppy taste? I actually have the full kit for a rye ipa, but ... I hate ipa. :p And do you think coffee could be added to this?

If by hoppy taste, you mean bitter, then No. Flameout hops give more aroma than bitterness or flavor.

Sure, you could add some coffee. My recommendation would be that you add it right before bottling to maximize the coffee flavor.

If by hoppy taste, you mean bitter, then No. Flameout hops give more aroma than bitterness or flavor.

Sure, you could add some coffee. My recommendation would be that you add it right before bottling to maximize the coffee flavor.

Okay. I may add some at 60min and some at about 30-15min left then.

Last question, do you think adding the black malt would be too much?

In my experience you lose a lot of the coffee flavor and aroma when it's part of the boil. (Also, boiled coffee tends to add bitterness as well.) I find it best to add cold brewed coffee after the initial 2 week fermentation, as this helps to preserve the aroma and flavor. Let it sit for a week or two before bottling.

Adding the Black Malt (steeped) shouldn't be a problem, as it should lend some flavor and color.

I'm interested in seeing your final recipe and how this turns out. Cheers!

In my experience you lose a lot of the coffee flavor and aroma when it's part of the boil. (Also, boiled coffee tends to add bitterness as well.) I find it best to add cold brewed coffee after the initial 2 week fermentation, as this helps to preserve the aroma and flavor. Let it sit for a week or two before bottling.

Adding the Black Malt (steeped) shouldn't be a problem, as it should lend some flavor and color.

I'm interested in seeing your final recipe and how this turns out. Cheers!

I actually meant the hops, not the coffee. Thank you for all of the help!

Latest posts

Back