Need help fast with all-grain to extract conversion OG difference!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dusdau

Reaction score
First, feel light years ahead almost over past two days on this forum. Cut to the chase. I have following wort bill below for Pliny the Elder extract version:

6.5 lbs Muntons Light DME
.6 lb Briess Caramel 40 Malt....steeped at 165 for 30 min, 2.5q
.6 lb Carapils...same
.75 lb dextrose

Vinny says to 'sub 6.5 lb light DME for 13.25 lb two-row malt'. Recipe states OG of 1.072, and if I run that through a calc, is very close, but that seemed to be based on the all-grain recipe.

If I do same for extract version, I get more like 1.0598. As a couple forum members loosely pointed out.

I need to get my yeast going soon, so need to know what OG to use. Should I trust 'it'll all work out' and go with 1.072. If 1.0598 is more like it, what should I adjust above to get it more in line with a DIPA like Pliny?

Thanks for any quick help!

Bump up your DME. Multiply your grain amount by about 0.6 to give you the right DME amount. Should be about 8 lbs in your case.

Thanks, man! That's what I got backing into the OG on calc, but wasn't sure if it'd be right or not.

Dustin

OG needs to match, OG is the dissolved sugars in the wort, you need the same OG no matter if it is all grain of extract

Back