need help !!! dont have 2 airlocks...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayerextreme

Reaction score
1st brew is a Russian Imperial Stout that I have had fermenting in my carboy for over 2 weeks...and I need the airlock from my 1st brew for the brew I'm doing today....

there has been no fermentation activity for over 5 or 6 days on my 1st brew..

can seal the bung hole of the carboy with aluminum foil on my 1st brew and let it continue to age in the carboy without harming the beer???

You'd be better off using the aluminum foil on the new batch as it will be using oxygen and driving off co2. You could rig up a blow off tube with hardware store tubing easy enough though.

I would disagree with the other 2 posters. You want that airlock to let the co2 out of the new one since it will be a more active fermentation. Although, to argue with myself, foil isn't going to hold it in so tight that your carboy will explode or anything. To argue with myself again though, foil will allow more bacteria into your beer, and a beer that is already pretty alcoholic would be able to fight off bacteria better than a fresh brew.
Do what you will with that info. I probably just made it worse. Haha.

1st brew is a Russian Imperial Stout that I have had fermenting in my carboy for over 2 weeks...and I need the airlock from my 1st brew for the brew I'm doing today....

there has been no fermentation activity for over 5 or 6 days on my 1st brew..

can seal the bung hole of the carboy with aluminum foil on my 1st brew and let it continue to age in the carboy without harming the beer???

In an emergency a condom and a pin makes a workable airlock.

We didn't think to ask if he has an lnbs nearby. A couple more airlocks would be cheap & handy. I have a big fistfull of'em. Spare spigots & such too.

Saturate a coffee filter with Star San, then put it on with a rubber band to seal out fruit flies and such.

Then buy extra air locks. @ 75 cents apiece, it is cheap insurance.

You have two fermentors/carboys, but only one airlock? That second carboy will never see use without an airlock, so it's just taking up space right now. It's probably a good rule of thumb to get an airlock for each vessel you have +1 (in case you drop/break/clog one).

Another vote for a blow off tube. Though if the OP doesn't have a second airlock he probably doesn't have the stuff to make a blow off assembly.

Order some airlocks online or go to a store and get some. Meanwhile, you can put a balloon (or a condom) over the 2 week old beer carboy and it will inflate if you get more fermentation. The small amount of co2 pressure shouldn't make much difference.

I would cover the new batch with soem foil that has been sprayed with StarSan long enough to go get some more airlocks, and put your current air lock on the older batch. Reason being is that the foil will keep the bad stuff out while being loose enough that the CO2 will be able to escape if need be. At this stage a little oxygen won't hurt your beer since the yeast will eat it up, and when you get a good CO2 blanket that will help protect your beer. Reason why you want the airlock on the older batch is that now that fermentation is done if you let too much oxygen to start leaking in then eventually it will equalize with the CO2 and you run the risk of oxidizing your beer.

Big thing is to get extra air locks asap though.

There is nothing magical about an airlock. You don't NEED an airlock. You are fermenting in a carboy. Take a square piece of Saran wrap and fold it over a couple of times. Place it loosely over the top of your carboy and hold it in place with a rubber band.

If you stay with this hobby long enough, you will come to realize how sadly misplaced your current concerns about airlocks really are. Air locks were invented to entertain cats and befuddle newbie fermenters (wine and beer makers). Or not.

My 2 cents.

Back