Need Help Converting This to an Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsteggeman

Reaction score
A friendly head brewmaster gave me the following as a guide to help me clone my favorite beer from his brewery. I'd like a hand converting the grain bill to a typical 5 gallon extract recipe and the hops from IBU's to ounces, but I thought I'd share the rest of the recipe as well.

This is a fantastic hoppy saison-style beer. Tons of grapefruit and citrus on the nose and a really nice, dry, crisp finish. Always my first choice anywhere that it's on tap.

• Use 75% Pale malt, 21% corn flakes, 2% wheat, 2% wheat malt.
  • Starting Plato is 17.7 Plato – finish about 2.4.
  • Use a Belgian Abbey, Saison or Trappist strain and ferment on the cooler side during the first 2/3 of the fermentation.
  • Use a ton of Amarillo hops: 17 IBU from bittering (Magnum and/or Simcoe) – 20 IBU from finish with Amarillo (knock-out – through ko – whirlpool).
  • Finish with ½ lbs Amarillo per bbl (31 gall).
  • The key for this beer is a dry fermenting fruity yeast with a lot of Amarillo.
  • Make sure you get a good carbonation in the bottle (3.5 to 4 vol).

6 1/2 lb light DME
2lb 12oz flaked corn
4oz flaked wheat
4oz white wheat
1/2 oz Magnum 12%@60
1 oz Amarillo 8.5%@20​
1 oz Amarillo@5​
1 1/2 oz Amarillo(Dry hop)​
Belgian yeast​
This is 7% ABV and is not a session beer but looks good none the less.​
You will need to do a mini mash on the corn and wheat,it cant be steeped!​
All grain version you would replace the DME with 10lb8oz of pale malt.Based on 75% eff.

If you don't have the base grain to mash the corn, I'd use corn sugar instead.

I'm not sure what he means by 2% wheat, and 2% wheat malt. Does he mean flaked wheat, or unmalted wheat? I don't know.

You could use the flaked wheat, wheat malt, and the corn, but you'd have to add about 3 pounds of two-row to it, and then use a bit less DME.

I'd probably do something like this:

5 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract
2.5 lbs Corn, Flaked
3 lbs Pale Malt
4.0 oz Wheat Malt, Ger
4.0 oz Wheat, Flaked

I'd mash the grains. If you can't do a partial mash of 6 pounds, I'd use corn sugar instead of the flaked corn.

Does your "brewing" friend know you don't get any ibu's from knockout hop additions??

Ugh, the kit I created for this brew is $60 from Midwest Supplies.

However, since it normally retails for $8 per 750ML bottle, brewing 5 gallons will save me about $140 vs. buying it retail. :mug:

I love this obsessi... I mean hobby.

Also, think I'm going to go with Wyeast's Belgian Strong Ale Activator ACT1388 it sounds like a perfect match:

Robust flavor profile with moderate to high alcohol tolerance. Fruity nose and palate, dry, tart finish. May continue to produce CO2 for an extended period after packaging or collection, while in refrigerated storage.

I think he means 2% flaked wheat and 2% wheat malt
The 2% wheat is most likely UNMALTED wheat.And the 2% wheat malt is Malted wheat.So flaked should give you about the same results as unmalted wheat.If you can find unmalted (midwest should have it)you could use that also.Yooper is correct in the fact that you should use some 2 row or pale malt to help the"specialty" grains convert when doing the minimash.So her recipe is the one to use.

Back