Need Help And Feedback With BlackRyeAle Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madkap_78

Reaction score
Ive never done my own recipe before but I wanted to try making a Black rye ale all grain recipe. I was wondering if you guys can give me some feedback on what I have so far. Let me know what you think about the grain bill and how you think the flavor will be.

70% eff
5.5 gal batch
1.070 OG
60 IBU
38 SRM
7.2% ABV

Mash at 152 for 60 mins with 5.5 gal water.
sparge with 3.25 gals of water for 15 mins

12lb 2 row
1.5lb rye malt
.75lb chocolate rye
.75lb crystal 60l
.75lb black malt
.25lb munich

1oz centennial 60 mins
1oz mt hood 60 mins first wort hop
1oz mt hood 30 mins
1oz mt hood 0 mins

wyeast 1272

Looks pretty good. If anything maybe substitute the munich for carafa or flaked wheat. You can also add a small dry hop depending on your target flavors. Would love to hear how it turns out.

Why would you use the carafa or the flaked wheat over the munich? What would they do to final product?

From my understanding munich is considered a base malt. Having .25 of it may not not serve as much contribution to flavor. Also, some black rye IPAs contain carafa so I thought it could be a good substitute. Flaked wheat is often used in IPAs. I don;t know just my thoughts ha. I've been wanting to brew a blackryeIPA let me know the details

Latest posts

Back