Need Help: Aeration/Oxygenation setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corypedia

Reaction score
So i'm looking to upgrade from a "shake until my arms fall-off" aeration to a pure oxygen setup.

Here's what I'm thinking based on this thread:

- Medical Oxygen tank from craigslist ($35)
- Pediatric O2 Regulator
- Dissolved Oxygen Meter
- Silicon tubing
- ...unsure...

What would I need to complete this build? A wand? Micron filter (what size?) The thread kinda jumps around so I'm kinda unsure what would complete this build. Links are welcomed and appreciated.

Also, if there's something better or more optimal, I'm open to it. I would like to have this be the last oxygen i have to invest in and am okay to spend some money, as long as it's within my means (~$300). :)

I recently purchased an oxygenation system from midwest brewing supply. It uses oxygen tanks you can find at your local hardware store.

Not if you buy them at home depot or lowes. They sell them in the soldering/welding section.

you need a scrip to get the med oxygen tank filled.......

Per my local HBC I have a local place that does not require an Rx.

Back on topic...what do i need to complete this? or is there better options?

Hmm...this seems like an interesting approach?

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BIG-OXYGEN-SYSTEM--P3474.aspx

EDIT: Reading reviews, the regulator is kinda useless...

Yeah the regulator isn't very helpful, but the rest of the kit is great. For comparison, there is this:

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLIAMS-2-MICRON-OXYGEN-AERATION-SYSTEM-P3830.aspx

... which is what I bought a few years back. They offer a .5 micron wand as well now. The wand is really helpful because you can control where you infuse the oxygen into your bucket/carboy/fermentor of choice. Using just a hose or something is very annoying.

One disposable tank of oxygen is less than $10 at HD and lasts me about 5 brews, I'd say.

I use a medical regulator (with CGA540) - works great for me.

Instead of the pre-made wand I use a 2' piece of 1/4" stainless and attach it to the stone with a short piece of 1/4" beverage tube.

oxygen.jpg

Latest posts

Back