Need help/advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrentpearson

Reaction score
So I am making my first batch of cider this weekend and need some advice. I've read some of the threads here but I am still confused about something. I have unpasteurized apple cider but they said it wend through some kind of UV thing. Is this considered pasteurized now?

I've read that unpasteurized takes longer to age so I need this to be cleared up if someone could.

Also, I just plan on putting 5 gallons in with s-04. If i let that ferment all the way could anyone guess what the FG would be. id like something on the dry side. Thanks.

Just noticed this was posted in the wrong spot. It was meant for the normal cider forum, not recipes.

UV treatment would kill off most of the bacteria in the juice, similar to pasteurization, which is a good thing.

With a nitrogen source (like yeast nutrient, raisins or dates) S-04 will drop it down around 1.000. I used S-04 on my last cider and loved the results, but I did back-sweeten.

Back