need feedback on new IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beavbuff47

Reaction score
Going to freeze my tail off in the fridgid cold tomorrow and make a nice citrusy hoppy IPA. I want it decently bitter with lots of citrus notes...to hopefully bring back those fond memories of summer that have faded now that the sub zero temps have set in. I have a bunch of hops of varying varieties in the fridge: Centennial, Amarillo, Cascade, Chinook, Citra. Here is what I've come up with:

13lbs 2-row
1lb Crystal 40

Boil:
1oz Centennial @60min
1oz Centennial @20min
1oz Centennial @10min
1oz Cascade @5min
1oz Amarillo @5min
1oz Citra @5min
1oz Citra @flame-out
1oz Amarillo @flame-out

Dry hops
1oz citra x 7 days
1oz cascade x 7 days
1oz amarillo x 7 days

Thoughts? Feedback? Suggestions?

Seems well balanced, as long as the Centennial hops are in good shape this should be a tasty brew (be cautious about old/stale Centennial as they tend towards an onion note).
The Citra will likely dominate the up-front notes, but as I'm a yuge Citra fanboi that'd be fine with me :D

Cheers! :mug:

I love that combination of hops - probably among my very favorites. My only suggestion would be adding some of the Chinook, maybe in place of the Centennial at 60. I love Chinook as a bittering hop for American-style ales.

Have you run this through software to get your numbers - target OG, target IBUs, color, etc?

For the version above, the stats are:
BIAB Mash @ 152F
OG: 1.062 @ 75% eff, FG: 1.014
56.1 IBU, 6.9SRM, 6.3%ABV

For the yeast I was thinking Wyeast London Ale 1028. Mainly just personal preference and one of my favorites. A bit of a malty backbone but still lets the hops shine.

Good idea subbing out the bittering hops with Chinook (I too love Chinook!). With that change, it increases the IBUs to 71.2 if I go with 1oz. I think that'll be fine.

Back