Need Better Head (on beer, that is)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadshomebrewing

Reaction score
ok, everyone can stop snickering now, and don't break any forum rules with the one liners that i'm certain will be posted here.

the real question --> i drank my very first bottles of pale ale this week, and it was really tasty. the color was decent, clarity was not bad.

i was very happy with it, since it was my first batch, ever.

only one thing wrong that i could see --> no head, to speak of, minimal "carbonation". it wasn't flat, just wasn't impressive in the glass.

one gallon, small batch, all grain, pretty standard pale ale.

because i was a little under a gallon, i used 2/3 oz of corn syrup in boiling water for carbonation in the bottle.

any thoughts, that you can post on the forum?

thanks in advance.

Questions related to Carb issue: How long has it been in the bottle? (Some beers, depending on gravity readings, will take longer to carb than others) How long did you put it in the fridge for before you opened it? (Changes in pressure associated with temperature in the bottle can alter the carbonating effects of your beer. Minimum time in the fridge is 24 hours and can be up to a week for maximum effect. [unsubstantiated rumors])

Questions related to Head issue: Did you rinse out your glass before pouring? Sometimes soap residue in the glass will immediately kill your head.

You might consider using steeping grains. Carbonation and head retention are two separate issues. For example, Coca Cola is highly carbonated but after the inital foaminess, it doesn't hold a head.

Head retention comes from the proteins and similar compounds in the grain. Steeping grains will give a bit of a boost.

Questions related to Carb issue: How long has it been in the bottle? (Some beers, depending on gravity readings, will take longer to carb than others) How long did you put it in the fridge for before you opened it? (Changes in pressure associated with temperature in the bottle can alter the carbonating effects of your beer. Minimum time in the fridge is 24 hours and can be up to a week for maximum effect. [unsubstantiated rumors])

Questions related to Head issue: Did you rinse out your glass before pouring? Sometimes soap residue in the glass will immediately kill your head.

it was in the bottle a week, and in the fridge 2 days of that week. what can i say, it was the first batch. i wanted to drink it, not look at it.

subsequent batches will get a much more detailed and focused treatment for time in each stage.

and the glasses were very clean, and rinse, and dried by hand.

and thanks for responding

You might consider using steeping grains. Carbonation and head retention are two separate issues. For example, Coca Cola is highly carbonated but after the inital foaminess, it doesn't hold a head.

Head retention comes from the proteins and similar compounds in the grain. Steeping grains will give a bit of a boost.

thanks, will think about that going forward

:mug:
it was in the bottle a week, and in the fridge 2 days of that week. what can i say, it was the first batch. i wanted to drink it, not look at it.

Haha, I'm with you there. :mug:

But that is probably why you have little Carb and Little Head.

Check the time lapse video for how long it actually can take for some beers.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/ <-- Also this thread from Revvy on Bottling has some good Carbonating information on post # 8 A good read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back