need basic hops recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgfrede

Reaction score
ive been making wine for the past year now and have made dandelion, blackberry, black raspberry, and am cooking maple mead now... i recently traded a friend a bunch of spruce tips for dried hops and wanted to make beer but all i have is champagne yeast, brown sugar (or table sugar), and hops of course... i wanted to mabey use Warrior, EKG, and Mittlefrue... any1 have any ideas to get me started? i wanna keep this as basic as i can and not get into anything to complicated and scientific

It you have the fermentors for wine, you have the fermentors for beer.

if you just want to use the hops,

4-5lb extra light or light extract
1lb steeped 20L/40L crystal

this will give a 5 gallon batch of light base ale to test with repeatedly.
you could even scale it for 5 1 gallon batches for testing.

what extract and whats 20L/40L crystal? do i need this to make beer? im not looking to really buy anything... just want to see if i can get away with just using and kind of sugar (i might use maple syrup i made myself or do a blend with brown sugar), hops, and champagne yeast... ive read a few places that people use this yeast but they never go in depth with what happened? like, how long will the fermentation last, or when can i bottle, or does it produce weird flavors, or will it end up just being a hops wine? this is my first time brewing beer and all the instructions/books/forums i read get confusing

If you're making beer, you must have malt extract and/or some grains (like the crystal mentioned).

Using hops in a wine is probably doable, but I've never done it.

crystal is carameled cracked grain that you can steep.
really any malt extract for beer making for this purpose. liquid/dry because you just want to see what the different hops do.

if you're getting sugar from the grains why cant you use sugar or maple syrup?

what i wanted to do was:
boil the Warrior at 165 deg. F for an hour
add mittlefrue and boil for 20 mins ish
add sugar (however much i need for what im using)
let cool and put into secondary
add EKG for dry hopping and yeast
and let cook

if i do need grains should i get brewers yeast? or will the champagne work?

if you're getting sugar from the grains why cant you use sugar or maple syrup?

what i wanted to do was:
boil the Warrior at 165 deg. F for an hour
add mittlefrue and boil for 20 mins ish
add sugar (however much i need for what im using)
let cool and put into secondary
add EKG for dry hopping and yeast
and let cook

if i do need grains should i get brewers yeast? or will the champagne work?

You can do whatever you want. But you can't make "beer" out of sugar or maple syrup. You can make wine, of course. But it won't be anything at all like a beer-type beverage.

Making beer without malt would be like making marinara sauce without tomatoes. You can make lots of sauces, but not a marinara sauce without tomatoes. Same with beer. If you want the beverage that most people would consider "beer", you'd need malt. Your recipe looks like a fermented hops "tea".

By the way, liquids don't boil at 165. They boil at 212 or so.

165 isn't boiling.
Basicly, this will be a hop tea (often used to flavor canned kits without bittering)

Its really looking like a hop flavored wine (wide use of the word). No idea what kind of product you'll end up with.

thanx... starting to make sense... ill get some grain and brewers yeast and let you guys know how it turns out

thanx... starting to make sense... ill get some grain and brewers yeast and let you guys know how it turns out

I honestly would skip the grain, unless you get a really good step-by-step recipe because there are some things to know about steeping/mashing the grain. If you're game, then we could help with instructions on that.

But if you want to stick with something ultra simple, you could just get 4 pounds of extra light dry malt extract (called DME for short) and use the hops you have.

4 pounds of DME would make 5 gallons of beer. I'd use an 11 gram package of dry yeast, like Safale S05 or S04.

yeah... im down for some instructions... im short on cash right now but ill pick up that DME within the next few days

ive read about steeping and mashing (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/) and it doesnt seem to hard,
but ill get the extract instead since its my first time, i just wanted to use what i had on hand

If you want to use a pound of grain (crystal 40L would be good) and steep it, that would enhance the beer greatly.

A typical recipe would be:

Steep 1 pound crushed crystal grains (in a grain bag) in 2 gallons water at 150-160 for 20 minutes. Discard grains and bring the liquid up to a boil. Take off the heat and add 2 pounds DME. Stir to dissolve and bring back to a boil. When boiling, add the first hops and set your timer for 60 minutes. Add your second hops at 15 minutes, and your last hops at 5 minutes. Those times are from when you first set the timer, so your hops would go in with that much time remaining. After the timer gets to one minute, add the rest of the DME. Stir well. When the timer hits 0, chill the wort to 70 degrees. Then add to the sanitized fermenter. Top up to 5 gallons with cool water, stir well, and check the specific gravity (OG) with a hydrometer. Then add your yeast. Keep at 65-68 degrees for 10-14 days. After 10 days, check the SG with the hydrometer. Three days later, check it again. If it is the same both of those times, and it is starting to clear, it's safe to bottle.

That's it!

i was thinking of boiling the warrior first, then the mittlefrue, and then dry hopping with EKG in the secondary... would this change my time for boiling the first 2? and would i have to do anything different?

well i brewed and im almost ready to bottle. my recipe was:

8 lbs 2 row grain
1 lb vienna "
2 lbs crystal "
1 oz Mittlefrue (1st hops)
1 oz EKG (2nd hops)
1 oz Fuggle (3rd)
ale yeast
1 c. maple syrup (homemade)

i really think i didnt rinse as much as i should of bc my gravity came out to 1.032 after i boiled the wort with the hops... should i be concerned bout the low gravity? and what would you call this type of beer? it turned a nice reddish amber color. havent gotten the FG yet but i should be getting that in the next day or so

Back