Need AG Lager Recipe Please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaggynuts24

Reaction score
I finally got a spare fridge in the Garage --- it stays at 36-38 degree's (F) ( i could probably adjust it to get to the 40-45 degree range

i want to step out of the Ale world and into the Lager world. I am mainly looking for semi-hoppy (not IPA hoppy) 9% ABV - clean tasting - easy to drink lager that will knock my dobber in the dirt

I like

Pilsner Urquell --- Skopsko - MGD - Budweiser - EKU - Cass - OB - St. Paulies Girl - Moosehead - Yeungling -

I hate light beer - Heineken is wrong (not sure why ... but it is wrong) --- not fond of Sam Adams Boston Lager

--- edit --- there is something wrong with Corona too

thanks

i'm afraid i didn't understand it ...

K in gallons = 15 Strike Temperature F 151 1'
--- mash in at 151 degree's Farenheit?

pounds of malt 26.5 40.00 8.28
---- 26.5 pounds of malt? what is the 40.00 and 8.28?

Saaz 20 3.32 3.8?
---- didn't get that either

Those are some extra numbers that ProMash/BeerSmith/etc prints into the recipe when you export it. It is because he copy/pasted from a weird lookin' table, not a plain text file.

If you go here, http://www.matweecha.net/beer/Pilzner2.1.htm , you can see it better. You can also see why it jumbled the output so much when copy/pasting. :)

I have the perfect 9% ABV batch, if you are willing to wait:

Here goes:

Hevelius Kaper, Beer Captured:
6 oz German Munich
4 oz 40 crystal
4 oz Belgian Cara Munich
15# 2 row Pilsner
1# Rice Hulls
2# Flaked Maize

3 oz Lublin, bittering
1/2 oz Lublin, flavor
1/4 oz Lublin, aroma

Ferment with Wyeast 2308, but I made it with Wyeast 2124 and it turned out great. I have the habit of adding extra grain when they call for corn sugar in the boil; they call for 1.33# corn sugar. I'd add that much (maybe a bit more) grain in the mash for a maltier beer. This was the best lager that I've made thus far and I want to make it again once the Semichlaus is out of the fridge.

shaggynuts24 said:
is that a 9 gallon batch?
Appears to be 15 gal.

That Hevelius Kaper looks great... do you have the OG on hand? (Friends are over, no time to type it into Beersmith right now)

right on --- i love Pilsner Urquell

will probably use that

will try to cut it down to a 10 gallon batch though

shaggynuts24 said:
thanks very much --- easier to understand now

is that a 9 gallon batch?

That is for a 10 gallon batch. I ended shorting myself on the lauter, and between the hops & trub I ended up with a net of 9 gallons.

Whatever you do use the math that works in your brewery, and go with the percentages provided for either recipe. Everyone's efficiency can be unique to their set up. YMMV.

chriso said:
Sorry for the misinfo - I saw the "K" value, didn't see the "Volume Yielded" on the right side.
I'm suprised anyone made it that far in translating the recipe. :)
The tables from excel don't migrate well into the html format for the recipe pages, so I converted them to html for easier viewing at my domain.:mug:

Back