Need Advise - Missed FG by .006 or ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeBlow

Reaction score
Hey Guys, Need some advice.

Only my 4th brew. Was hoping to bottle today but a check of FG was 1.018. Expected ~1.012. This was a kit from Williams. Yeast puffed up nicely, good fermentation at 12hrs, minor foaming in airlock. Everything seemed fine, in primary for 21 days @ 69-72F. My previous brews all were close to expected. Full detail below.

How to proceed ? Bottle, wait few more days recheck, Roust sugar feeding ?

Detals:

WYEAST STRAIN: 3787 Trappist High Gravity™
Produces intense esters and phenolic characteristics with complex fruitiness. Does not produce significant amount of iso-amyl acetate (banana esters) or bubble gum esters typical of many yeast of this style. Phenol and ester production are influenced by fermentation temperatures. Phenols tend to dissipate as beer matures. This type of yeast benefits from incremental feeding of sugars during fermentation, making suitable conditions for doubles and triples to ferment to dryness. True top cropping yeast with a broad temperature range.
Origin:
Flocculation: Medium-High
Attenuation: 74-78%
Temperature Range: 64-78F, 18-25C
Alcohol Tolerance: 12% ABV

Kit Details - Williams Brewing
Originally associated with the Eastern Belgian province of Brabant, the Belgian Wit (white) style is a fruity, pale wheat beer accented with orange peel, coriander, and other spices. This is a subtle, delicate beer, best appreciated by those who like a refreshing wheat beer with a touch of spice character. The name wit (or white) was attached to this style due to both the original use of unmalted wheat, and to the fact that this beer was brewed without finings, so more yeast than normal remained in suspension.
Includes 8 pounds of our blended malt extract, flavoring hops and spices, liquid ale yeast, and corn sugar for carbonation. Makes 5 gallons with a starting gravity of at least 1.047. Ease of Brewing: Beginner

Sat. 1-23-10, Willaims Kit

Preboil ~7.5 gallons tap / Overnite rest

6:30pm Start Boil 6.5 gallons
7:15pm Added LME - Kit Bagged
7:25pm Full Boil
7:30pm - Hops Kit (KCS175- (55 Min)
8:05pm - Chiller (Sterilization)
8:15pm - Added Spice Kit (KSW050)
8:27pm - Heat Off/Cooler on
9:00pm - 70F / Transfer Primary
*9:15pm - Air On / Pitched (20 min.) (*OG 1.050 nc - ckd >pitch)
5 days LR @ 71-72F
Good Ferm @ 12 hrs
BRW@ 69F

*** Fermentation ***
Jan. 23rd - Feb. 13th (21 days)
Temps - 68F - 72F
**** FG 1.018

I think it's done. In the future making yeast starters and having a temperature controlled fermentation will help with attenuation. I'm still it will still turn out just fine though...

Back