Need advice..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcl700

Reaction score
In august I started a strawberry wine made from strawberries picked from a u pick farm. I've done this with raspberries before with no issues. Starting sg was about 1.080 and it was very slow going. This was around the time weather started to get colder (saskatchewan) and the furnace hadn't been turned on yet so I brought a space heater into the room to keep it warm... Bad idea because I forgot about it and when I came back it was so warm there was no fermentation. The must was close to bath water warm. So my first question : Did I kill the yeast?
So I racked what I had (sg 1.050 ish) and made a yeast starter, dumped that in with some nutrient and it is working again, quite slowly for the past five days. Is this salvageable? Will that extra yeast present a problem for me? Off flavours? Should I add energizer too? Any input and advice is much appreciated!

Usually when I accidentally ferment too warm, I get an off smell. Well, actually it's a horrible smell.

How's it smelling? If it smells fine and looks fine, I am thinking it should be fine. You didn't have a thermometer on it did you? To get an accurate temp.

Back