Need advice on sourcing keg system parts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmintz

Reaction score
I am in NYC and local prices are insane...100 dollars for 5 gallon CO2. One place has 2 used ball lock kegs for 50 a piece...not so bad but meh.

I managed to get a GE WMR04BAPBB fridge for 50 off craigslist and will be modding soon. At least before my next batch.

I will be going with 2 5 gallon ball lock kegs, 5 gallon CO2 and 2 faucet tower.

After lots of searching and pricing for pieces to my puzzle I have come to the following conclusion and would love some feedback before I pull the trigger.

www.bvrgelements.com/
2 used 5 gal ball lock kegs
1 new CO2 Aluminum 5 lb Tank
=156.02 shipped

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052WCFEK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Polished Stainless Steel Dual Faucet Draft Beer Tower - 3" Column
Premium Dual Gauge Regulator with Splitter
Two "D" System American Beer Lever Handle Tap Coupler
Two 5 Foot Sections of 3/16" ID Beer & 5/16" ID Air line assemblies
=171.90 shipped

2 sets of gas in and beer out ball lock couplers from my LHBS
=28 dollars incl tax

355.92 done with parts + 50 for fridge = 405.92 all done (almost...gotta supply a handy friend who has access to all tools sealent and paint, a 12 pack of home brew, some pizza and a few hours of hanging :mug: )

please give me the confidence to pull the trigger and get the show on the road...thanks you guys rock :rockin: glad I made the move from troll to newb

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds about right. Corny kegs are really expensive now, but you can still get them cheap sometimes on ebay or craigslist. If you go to a welding supply store (where the home brew shop gets there tanks and gas) you cut out the middle man. I went to West air, and got a 25lb CO2 tank on a "99 year lease" for only $100. I started with two taps.... then quickly went for 3. If you can fit 3 or 4 kegs in the fridge your getting, I would recommend getting that many taps, instead of buying more parts later

Corny kegs are really expensive now

Totally true - my LHBS is asking $60 for cleaned-up ball lock kegs now!

Makes me wish I had bought a truck load of them a few years ago as an investment (gawd knows the return would be way better than most of my financial investments over that time :drunk: )

I'm just glad I got my 14 kegs back when they were "only" $30-40 each...

Cheers!

I'm just glad I got my 14 kegs back when they were "only" $30-40 each...
Cheers!

14 kegs woah :mug:

I ended up scoring the 2 used kegs and new 5lb CO2 from my LHBS in Brooklyn for 146...they "did their best" to match the price of the place online and gave me 15% off the CO2...also not sure if it was on purpose or not but only charged me for 1 keg so net/net it was 10 dollars less than online :ban:

I was so thrilled about my savings that I got home bottled my final batch, ordered the keg conversion kit off amazon and brewed up my first personal (sort of) recipe. Please comment, good/bad anything would be great!

http://hopville.com/recipe/1176512/american-ipa-recipes/bunny-hop-bk-ipa

Brewed again Sunday...Fat Tire clone..never tried Fat Tire being on east coast, but SWMBO visited the brewery over the summer and loved it so she got it as a gift for me.

Keg conversion kit should be here by Friday...tentative date for conversion is March 11...counting days until easter...I'm jewish...It will be beer day!

Looks like a tasty IPA from here! :)

Good deal on the acquisitions! You're definitely hooked now! ;)

Cheers!

Thanks for the positive feedback, it means a lot to me

Tax returns and bonus hitting this week...really want to go All Grain but it is a little intimidating. I think it's time to buy a book before I go spending anymore on equipment.

I just got 4 kegs shipped for $180. $38 per and like new condition. The guy has hundreds. $28 for used. $22 for pin lock. Check eBay for mckever industries or distributing or something.

Back