Need advice on my planned winter ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandoncox

Reaction score
I'm brewing a winter ale this Friday. The ingredients are three varieties of malt, chinook and sterling hops, with maple syrup pine needles and cardamom as adjuncts. My only concern is the pine needles... should I boil them in my kettle first to kill off anything and to strain them out then brew with the pine water? Or should I boil them and age the wort on the pine? And how much needles for a 4 gallon batch to get a full piney taste but not overpowering? I'm open for any advice. Thank you.

I never heard of the pine needles thing... but their are certain strains of hops that give beers piney characters. Chinook as you mentioned is one as well as simcoe to name a few.

You could add the pine needles last 10-15 min of the boil. It would sterilize the needles and being later in the boil would contribute some flavors. I would be modest if you do and only do a few tablespoons worth.

You might want to use some french oak cubes. I even used an oak log for the fireplace, cut it into cubes and then roasted in the oven at 400 deg for an hour. Helps release the vanillin flavors as well.

Back