Need advice on modding a Corona mill for BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnodon

Reaction score
I'm thinking of picking up a Coronal style mill to do my own crushing. I know that there are some things that should/need to be done to get a fine, consistent crush. Can someone elaborate? I remember one mod was about adding washers somewhere.

TIA!

John

I just tightened down the adjustment so the plates rubbed. Much later I added a couple flat washers where the wing nuts are that fasten the pieces together because I had trouble loosening the wing nuts.

Thanks guys.

I also see people talking about removing a cotter pin and replacing it with a bolt???

EDIT: NM...I think I see what people are talking about.

John

It depends on the particularly unit you get, but I didn't do anything. People are worried about plates wobbling or whatever, but that only happens until grain starts being fed through on mine. I just experimented with where it needs to be tightened to in order to get a good crush without it being flour. I use a fair amount of unmalted spelt and some malted rye, you will need to readjust (tighten) for things like that. Is it perfect? No. Does it work pretty damn well and get my efficiency where it needs to be without any problems? Absolutely!

Back