Need advice on "leftover ingredients" recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvdrake

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new to the forums. I'm looking for some opinions on figuring out what I am making. Im using the last of my home brew supplies tomorrow before i order some more. So what i've got is...

Yeast - Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes
Malt Extract - 6lbs Light LME
Hops (obviously not using all of them)- 5oz centennial, 4oz cascade, 1oz summit, 1/2oz us northern brewer
Possible steeping grains -carapils

I also have a lot of canned blueberries but i'm not sure i want to mess with those.

So my questions:
-What the heck I am making? a Belgian pale ale?
-which hops should i use?
-will the carapils do anything for steeping?
-any other advice for making this into awesomeness?

You could try some kind of a Belgian IPA with the LME, a little of the carapils for body, a bunch of those hops and the Belgian yeast. It may not be exactly to style, but I think it would be tasty.

I believe the carapils needs to be mashed (it has no diastatic power), so you'd need to do a mini-mash of that.

Carapils will add body and some head to your brew but won't give you much of anything flavor or color wise as it is a dextrin malt. Sounds like if you ran a 3 gallon batch you could either end up with a sorta maibock or perhaps a hoppy helles style beer. Try some different combinations with the hops in a brew calculator and see what your end color and IBU's are then find a style that matches and go for it. I love making a leftover ingredients beer. Good excuse to do something different!

I did a left over hop/ gain beer a month ago, it turned out to be an amber IPA (about 60 IBUs). I used Nugget, Willamette and Nelson Sauvin and it turned out pretty darn tasty. :ban:

thanks all for the quick replies. Yea i love leftover beers too, no choice but to be creative.

So will the carapils add body by steeping or would i have to minimash?

Do you have a brew calculator you recommend?

I've never been to sure what hops to use with belgian yeasts, i feel like the aroma of cascade might work well with the fruity/spicy yeast aroma

thanks all for the quick replies. Yea i love leftover beers too, no choice but to be creative.

So will the carapils add body by steeping or would i have to minimash?

Do you have a brew calculator you recommend?

I've never been to sure what hops to use with belgian yeasts, i feel like the aroma of cascade might work well with the fruity/spicy yeast aroma

If you steep the carapils, you'll just get a bunch of unconverted starch, which could cloud your beer. It won't add the body you want. Use a small grain bag and mash it at 150-155 for 30-45 minutes, then continue brewing with the malt extract, etc., as you normally would.

You can steep carapils you just won't get as much out of it. It's a dextrin malt and will raise the OG and FG of your brew. I like using Brewers Friend calculator myself as it tells you which styles it would match and it works well on the iPad.

Depending on your brand of LME, it could have carapils in the blend already. I know Maillard Malts light LME includes it.

I'd go with Centennial and/or Cascade for the hops. They have a simple profile and shouldn't overpower the character from the Belgian yeast.

Do you have any specialty grains left? Some Belgian biscuit and/or some light crystal (10-20L) could add some depth to it.

I have specialty grains from the Northern Brewer Dead Ringer kit. I couldn't find what it was made up of though.

I would do a belgian IPA with centennial/cascade. Summit for bittering. Let fermentation free rise to bring out belgian yeast esters. 3522 usually makes a mix of apple/pear/clove spice IME

Back