Need advice on Brutus 5 build...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaredwhite

Reaction score
I'm in the process of collecting things to build a mini-version of Brutus 10. I have the dimensions of my build set out, now I need the steel so I can actually start building. I am going to use 1 inch square tubing since it is cheaper and I feel the two inch tubing is just over-kill.

My question is what gauge of steel do I go with? I'm thinking 11 - the same that the original Brutus uses. The problem is that I can only get 16 gauge in my neck of the woods. I want to avoid buying online so I don't get the old in-out from shipping charges. Will 16 gauge be thick enough. Keep in mind I'm only doing 5 gallon batches. Thanks!

16G is pleanty fine, most brew stands are over kill anyways. this isn't a roll cage taking any direct force applied to it. as long as your framing design is legit 16G is plenty strong.

have a pic of how you plan on building it?

-=Jason=-

I don't have a pic. My plan was essentially to use the original Brutus design except with smaller dimensions to fit my 10 gallon boliermakers and use 1 inch tubing. Think that will work? I figure there wouldn't be anymore than 200 pounds on it at any given time and that is probably a huge overestimate considering 5 gallons of water weighs about 50 pounds give or take.

Back