Need advice on adjusting/fixing IBU's for Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlapjackAM

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm making a Anchor Porter clone this weekend with a recipe from Brew Your Own which is as follows:

11 lbs 14 oz 2 Row
1.5 lbs 40 L
12 oz Black Malt
12 oz Chocolate

6.7 AAU Northern Brewer 0.7 oz @ 60
3.4 AAU Northern Brewer 0.35 oz @ 30

Now, my problem arises from the recipe having the NB at 9.6% Alpha Acid coming in at 42 IBU, whereas I noticed the ones I got from my LHBS are only at 6%. Pretty significant difference, and I imagine that 42 number helps balance out the strong roastiness.

In addition to the NB I bought, I've had an ounce of EKG sitting in my fridge for a couple months. Been playing around with the calculator on Brewer's Friend, and by doing my ounce of EKG at 60 and my ounce of NB at 30, it brings me up to 39.

So, my question is:

Should I roll with the NB I have, at the times stated, and leave it at that? Go ahead and finally use up that ounce of EKG I have? Or just go get more NB? I don't want to change the character of the original recipe, though I've never had actual Anchor Porter. With the hops being in the background so much my feeling is I probably wouldn't notice.

Well, there it is. Have a good Memorial Day everyone.

Just going to bump once; brewing tomorrow. I suppose I basically just want to know if the combination of EKG and NB would work for a porter. I'll probably do the EKG at 60. Won't get much but the IBU's from them right?

I think both the EKG and NB are fine in a porter, especially coming at 60 and 30 minutes. You're not going to get much character from them, though both are completely appropriate in the style. Whatever combination gets you to the IBU's that you want. There is a lot of crystal in your recipe, and you need IBU's to balance that.

Just adjust the 60 minute addition to get the right amount of ibus. Both ekg or nb are fine for a 60 min addition; a porter isnt a hop foward style, just make sure the ibus are correct and go with it.

Latest posts

Back