need advice for my "hop yard"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2BeerSpeer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about to set a couple poles that will be guyed and a line under tension between them. I'm a lineman by trade so this is the easy part.... I have a few questions though.
1) what size poles are ideal? I have access to 30'-45' poles that can be cut with ease if these are too tall.

2) how far should I separate my plants in the row? I have 1 plant each of 8 varieties.

3) Is it preferred that a row run east-west (I have up to 80' available for the row)or north-south (50' available)?

Thanks in advance for any and all info!

I'm about to set a couple poles that will be guyed and a line under tension between them. I'm a lineman by trade so this is the easy part.... I have a few questions though.
1) what size poles are ideal? I have access to 30'-45' poles that can be cut with ease if these are too tall.

2) how far should I separate my plants in the row? I have 1 plant each of 8 varieties.

3) Is it preferred that a row run east-west (I have up to 80' available for the row)or north-south (50' available)?

Thanks in advance for any and all info!

1- 20 -30 ft poles seem to be the most popular height. I would suppose you could leave them 45 if you wanted and it wouldn't hurt anything just give the hops farther to climb. The challenge is just making sure you can get up to the top to take them down when it's time.

2. Different varieties should be no closer than 5-6 ft. You can plant similar varieties as close as 3 ft for future reference.

3. I've been told to run north to south for sun exposure and air circulation. That being said I have hops running a few different ways due to the space I have. However for "ideal" purposes I believe you want to go with North to south.

Good luck!

You do not want a 45 foot pole in the ground. God forbid.. Seriously. Cut the poles 22 feet long put four feet in the ground. leaving 18 feet that's plenty... thats industry standard .. the rows anywhere from 6 to 10 feet depending on equipment... plants 3 to 4 feet apart in rows...

I knew 45' poles would be extreme but wanted them to be the size the hop yards use. I hope to use this set up for years to come so want it right the first time. My main concern is having different varieties close to each other as I will only have 1 row and 8 plants....definitely don't want them getting tangled up in each other.

5 feet apart should be plenty if you're doing separate plants but I would get at least one or two plants of each not just one case one dies..

they are established plants but I'm building a deck and not sure if I want them to stay where they are. I had originally planned on them running to the top of my deck banister so I planted them 4' back from where each post will be. sorta like this.

hops off deck!.jpg

I'm just not sure I'd like them going past the top of the railing and have the equipment available now to place a few poles at the back of my yard. I like the idea of them climbing up the deck a lot and it is way easier to water them at the deck than 200 foot away from the house!

Here are mine last year. They aren't near as close together as the last pic I posted. Deck will be built within the month. We I'll see what it looks like then..

1397727910907.jpg

I have 16 out of the ground and mother nature loved it twice with lighting! I am in the bottom of a gully also. 45 might be a light show!

HAHA. Yea I think so...I never intended to plent the big poles just mentioning what size poles I had access to. I knew I'd but using a saw!

Back