Need a stout recipe to celebrate our second born child

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfrazier77

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a question/favor request for all of you. I have not been active here for a while but still come to read when I can. We are expecting our second child and I want to make a beer that will age for 21 years. I did this for our first born 6 years ago. My wife and I drink a bottle, English Barleywine, on his birthday and when he is 21 it will be his, 2 cases worth. I want to do the same thing for the next but want to do something different than a barleywine so I am thinking a stout. Does anyone have a good recipes for strong stouts that age well?

Thank you all in advance and if anyone is in Eastern PA in September the beer is on me! :mug:

There's a respectable tradition of this among the British aristocracy - search for "majority ale", there's a good introduction here. It was pretty much killed off by the tax rises and general disruption of WWI, although Youngers kept it up until the 1960s.

The majority ales were crazy-strong, typically 1120-1150 OG.

If you want to do a stout with a track record of ageing well, then the Barclay Perkins/Courage Russian Imperial Stout is the obvious one. Ron Pattinson has posted extensively on it, for instance here's the grist of the 1859 version (brewery name IBS) and here's the hopping in 1928. although the earliest homebrew recipe he's put together I think is from 1921, after WWI had reduced its strength. Or see eg this 1850 Truman Double Stout.

I have a question/favor request for all of you. I have not been active here for a while but still come to read when I can. We are expecting our second child and I want to make a beer that will age for 21 years. I did this for our first born 6 years ago. My wife and I drink a bottle, English Barleywine, on his birthday and when he is 21 it will be his, 2 cases worth. I want to do the same thing for the next but want to do something different than a barleywine so I am thinking a stout. Does anyone have a good recipes for strong stouts that age well?

Thank you all in advance and if anyone is in Eastern PA in September the beer is on me! :mug:
early congrats on the expected child but I dont think Id want to drink a beer thats 21 yrs old. I would actually opt for a whiskey or bourbon. I have a bottle of Jack Daniels Bicentennial (90 proof)in a fancy bottle still in the box , directly from JD distillery. Bought it just before my son was born over 22 yrs ago and plan on cracking the seal if either one of my kids ( I also have a daughter 26 yrs old,who has sworn off ever having kids) produces a grandchild. Might just have to change my idea of opening it to my retirement .

when in september? My sons is the 9th

There's a respectable tradition of this among the British aristocracy - search for "majority ale", there's a good introduction here. It was pretty much killed off by the tax rises and general disruption of WWI, although Youngers kept it up until the 1960s.

The majority ales were crazy-strong, typically 1120-1150 OG.

If you want to do a stout with a track record of ageing well, then the Barclay Perkins/Courage Russian Imperial Stout is the obvious one. Ron Pattinson has posted extensively on it, for instance here's the grist of the 1859 version(brewery name IBS) and here's the hopping in 1928. although the earliest homebrew recipe he's put together I think is from 1921, after WWI had reduced its strength. Or see eg this 1850 Truman Double Stout.

Thanks, I will research these.

early congrats on the expected child but I dont think Id want to drink a beer thats 21 yrs old. I would actually opt for a whiskey or bourbon. I have a bottle of Jack Daniels Bicentennial (90 proof)in a fancy bottle still in the box , directly from JD distillery. Bought it just before my son was born over 22 yrs ago and plan on cracking the seal if either one of my kids ( I also have a daughter 26 yrs old,who has sworn off ever having kids) produces a grandchild. Might just have to change my idea of opening it to my retirement .

when in september? My sons is the 9th
Thanks, it is September 25th. I think beer can last 21 years. Thomas Hardey would be a classic example. Vintage bottles are amazing, not that I have been blessed to have one that old. At least it is worth a try. I appreciate my whiskeys as well, but they are not ageing in the bottle. If it goes bad a couple of years in I will have to come up with something else.

I'd definitely be extra careful with sanitizing and keeping things clean during bottling. Wouldn't want to be disappointed after 21 years of waiting!
Wonder if dipping the tops of the capped bottles in wax would help seal them extra well for the 21 year aging process?
No idea, just a thought.

I'd go with a RIS. I've brewed the Stone RIS clone a few times and not only is it amazing but it ages really well and it's around 10-11% abv with plenty of hops to back it up.

Congrats on #2! The jump from 1 to 2 little ones is hard but it's worth every minute.:mug:

Back