Need a sissified wing sauce

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireBrewer

Assistant Brewer
Reaction score
Getting ready to make some Football Sunday wings for me and the Mrs. but I need something to tone her's down a little. I usually use Frank's Red Hot sauce but it's just too hot for her.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance. :mug:

Adding butter to the red hot sauce will turn it down. If not look for one that is buffalo as those will be less hot. Maybe try the Ken's Buffalo Marinade (the salad brand) I remember that having the same flavors but being mild. Then you can add some hotter sauce to yours.

Adding butter to the red hot sauce will turn it down. If not look for one that is buffalo as those will be less hot. Maybe try the Ken's Buffalo Marinade (the salad brand) I remember that having the same flavors but being mild. Then you can add some hotter sauce to yours.

Great, thanks for the help!

I have seen people add the blue cheese dressing right in with the sauce but that is a whole other type of taste then. I can't think of any milder off the shelf though off the top of my head.

6-8oz of Trappey's Louisiana hotsauce
1 stick of butter
Tabasco sauce to adjust heat level

Mix ingredients together in microwave dish. I usually use about half of the smallest bottle of tabasco with this for me and my wife, and to me it doesn't have ANY heat just buffalo goodness. My wife says it has a bit of a bite but not much. I suggest mixing it first w/o the tabasco and adjust to taste. This by far is the easiest and tastiest buffalo sauce I've found for homemade wings.

If you want to make a chicken wing dip rather than the wings for her try this one

2 pkgs of cream cheese
1 cup chedder cheese
1 cup blue cheese salad dressing
1 cup Frank's (this is where you decide how hot to make it)
1lb fried skinles chicken breast diced or shredded

mix it all together and bake for 30 mins at about 350 or until it looks done.
It's a huge hit around my place and then she doesn't need to touch your wings.

The trick to buffalo sauce adjustment is fairly simple really:

Pick a base hotsauce to use, my favorite for buffalo happens to be trappey's cheaper than Franks and has a slightly better flavor to me, and add butter (and if necesary vinegar or tabasco sauce) then just remember:

More butter = less heat
More vinegar = more perceived heat

We do the Franks with butter for making mild wings.. also try butter and garlic, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese for a change of pace.

I've used Franks/butter as a base, then added either Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix or Good Seasons Italian dressing mix(both powdered packets) with much success.

There's a wing/fresh cut french fries night right around the bend. I can feel it. :D

1 cup Teriyaki sauce
1 cup hot sauce
1/2 cup molasas
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar

Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and dissolve over low heat.
Dust the wings with flour that has been seasoned with Lawry's and deep fry until they are done. Toss in the sauce to coat.

Best tasting wing ever.

my wife cant do spicey either so I go with a 50-50 mix of honey and franks original red hot, she loves the honey hot wings, me I go for butter, scorned woman hot sauce, and a touch of yellow mustard.

1 cup Teriyaki sauce
1 cup hot sauce
1/2 cup molasas
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar

Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and dissolve over low heat.
Dust the wings with flour that has been seasoned with Lawry's and deep fry until they are done. Toss in the sauce to coat.

Best tasting wing ever.

Thanks for this recipe! I made this sauce this weekend and it was very good...way too much for a single batch of wings though...I need to scale it back next time.

Quick question...how could I thicken this up a little? It was very thin and and I think that if it were a tad thicker it would have been even better. I cooked it on low until it warmed up...perhaps that was too long?

Thanks for this recipe! I made this sauce this weekend and it was very good...way too much for a single batch of wings though...I need to scale it back next time.

Quick question...how could I thicken this up a little? It was very thin and and I think that if it were a tad thicker it would have been even better. I cooked it on low until it warmed up...perhaps that was too long?

You could just heat it longer and reduce it.

Get one can of Dr. Pepper, put it in a sauce pan, and boil it until it becomes thick and syrupy. Then you can add soy sauce, some rosemary, a little butter (1-2 tbl) and if your wife doesn't mind a little heat and a few drops off Frank's.

Dissolve some corn starch in water. Bring the sauce to a boil. Add the corn starch a little at a time to get to the desired thickness.

Back