Need a recipe for extract old world vienna lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENS

Reaction score
I have a kit from Brewer's Best for Vienna Lager, but it is new world recipe and I am unhappy with it. It comes with a pound of corn sugar and I would like more malts. I also want better hops. I have some ideas, but I am wondering if anyone has a great vienna lager old school recipe that will taste like it was brewed in Vienna in 1890 and not Mexico in 2010.

I am not at home, but I will post the ingredients of the BB kit when I get there, basically, I want to take that kit and enhance it. I want to make a 5 gallon batch.

My memory of the kit is that it comes with specialty grains, I think crystal and vienna. fermentables are 1 lb of corn sugar, 1 lb of amber dme, 3.3 lbs of munich lme. Hops are 1 oz brewers gold for bittering and .5 oz sterling for aroma.

I don't have lagering capabilities so I am going to use white labs european yeast.

thanks

I don't think you can properly make a vienna lager using extracts. Most, if not all, of the grist should be vienna malt, and the closest you can come is munich LME which is 50/50 munich/pale.

I just want to get close as possible.

thanks

How about this then:
5gal batch, 1.042-1.046OG
5lbs munich lme
2lbs vienna malt
1oz hallertau (or other noble hop) @60mins
mini-mash vienna in a loose bag @150-160F in 1-2 gallons for 60mins. remove grains and rinse with 1 gallon of water. bring to boil, add extract, add hops...
if you're comfortable mashing more, sub in 1lb of vienna for every 0.75lb of LME you take out (or just add more if you want it stronger)

You're so stressed about "authenticity" yet you can't lager it?!? :confused:

I have an award winning vienna lager that's based on the historical information on the style as written in BYO magazine and the interview with Chris Colby (the source material is linked in the thread.) You might want to take a look https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f59/revvys-vienna-lager-147772/

thanks ya'll. I have taken what you have posted and feel I have come up with a way to make a pretty close representation of old school vienna lager with the set up and ingredients I have. I very much appreciate it. Revvy, may the force, I mean, brew be with you.

The Vienna is fermenting.

I took the brewer's best kit and made some changes.

I used the specialty grains from the BB kit
3 lbs munich LME (from kit)
1 lb amber DME (from Kit)
3 lbs Pilsen DME
1 lb corn sugar
Hops
1 oz hallertau 60 mins
1 oz Spalt 20 mins
1 oz tettnang 5 mins
-
yeast - white labs san fran lager

The Vienna is fermenting.

I took the brewer's best kit and made some changes.

I used the specialty grains from the BB kit
3 lbs munich LME (from kit)
1 lb amber DME (from Kit)
3 lbs Pilsen DME
1 lb corn sugar
Hops
1 oz hallertau 60 mins
1 oz Spalt 20 mins
1 oz tettnang 5 mins
-
yeast - white labs san fran lager

I don't think you'll be particularly close to a Vienna lager, but it should be tasty, all the same! San Fran lager yeast is really a hybrid yeast, resulting in fruity flavors. A Vienna lager is usually fermented with lager yeast. It won't be close to any thing like a Vienna lager, old school or not, but it should be a good tasting beer.

I can't brew lagers, so I was looking to get as close as I could with brewing it as an ale. The LHBS suggested San Francisco Lager yeast and European Ale yeast. I went with the San Fran lager yeast.

thanks, I am pretty excited about it. I think I am started to get closer to recipe formulating. I am starting to understand the hops and extracts and their tastes better. I need to get down the specialty grains. I know it is not a true vienna, but hope it will taste good.

Thanks

One of my next brews I may go straight getting my own ingrediants instead of a kit.

Back