Need a quick, light recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KFH

Reaction score
Here's the deal: My sister is getting married on Oct 2nd, and I've been tasked to provide some of the beer for the event. The basic requirements are:

-Light (99% of the guests are BMC drinkers)
-Quick (no lagering)
-Somewhat inexpensive (no insanely expensive ingredients)

I'd also like to ramp up the abv as much as possible without detracting from the flavor. The majority of my relatives coming in for the event are from Utah, and frequently brag about their drinking prowess (which is easy with their weak-ass 3% beers). I'd like the opportunity to knock them down a notch or two. :drunk:

I'm going to try to get some kegs in time, but I may end up having to bottle instead. Please keep this in mind when recommending any recipes.

seen this made up for some BMC drinkers, they took to it relatively well. and it was dirt cheap with only 1 oz of amarillo.
10 lbs 12oz Two Row
0 lbs 12oz Caraamber

1.0 oz 60min Amarillo
0.5 oz 30min Amarillo

WLP001, ferment 72.
Mash around 150-152.

Edit* Any Ale yeast you have on hand should do the trick, if you really want to go inexpensive, throw down some S-04 or S-05

American Wheat

1# pilsen
5# wheat
5# two row
15-20 IBU of whatever you got
clean attenuative ale yeast

ready to keg in two weeks, easy.

personally I like late centennial hopping in mine.

seen this made up for some BMC drinkers, they took to it relatively well. and it was dirt cheap with only 1 oz of amarillo.
7 lbs 12oz Two Row
0 lbs 04oz Caraamber

0.5 oz 60min Amarillo
0.5 oz 30min Amarillo

WLP001, ferment 72.
Mash around 150-152.

Edit* Any Ale yeast you have on hand should do the trick, if you really want to go inexpensive, throw down some S-04 or S-05

Needs moar booze! :)

Like I said, I want to really knock them flat on their asses. It definitely makes for a more entertaining wedding reception. :)

Needs moar booze! :)

Like I said, I want to really knock them flat on their asses. It definitely makes for a more entertaining wedding reception. :)

Sorry, missed that part. check now.

The new one puts ya at a little over 6%...if you want more, just up the recipe. Maybe add some aromatic for kicks.

Sorry, missed that part. check now.

The new one puts ya at a little over 6%...if you want more, just up the recipe. Maybe add some aromatic for kicks.

The one you posted looks nice and simple, especially for a first all-grain batch. I'll give it a shot and let you know the results. :)

10# pilsner or 2-row
.5oz Magnum - 60min
dry hop w/ .5oz of whatever hops you like.
Ferment w/ Safale s-05 in the mid 60's.

I make this all the time, it comes out to about 5.1 abv or so and doesn't taste like it. The BMC crowd always loves it :D.

here's your problem - "light" and "moar booze" don't usually go together...

And high abv and quick don't go together. The higher the abv, the longer the beer needs to stay in the fermenter and then condition before it reaches it's peak, in my experience.

Also, OP, you are a brave brewer to plan your first all-grain for a wedding full of non-craft beer drinkers. Gird your loins!

And high abv and quick don't go together. The higher the abv, the longer the beer needs to stay in the fermenter and then condition before it reaches it's peak, in my experience.

Also, OP, you are a brave brewer to plan your first all-grain for a wedding full of non-craft beer drinkers. Gird your loins!

I have a Belgian blonde extract kit ready as a possible stand-in, just in case. :)

Back