Need a little help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike1981

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have posted on here in the past and you guys have been really helpful. I am currently brewing a Russian Imperial Stout but am having some problems. I brewed the beer up last Friday at my fathers camp because it has a gas stove, and all went well. Since it was at camp, I was going to check it the following day, but was unable to until a day after that. When I got there, I noticed that just the plastic lid was covered in beer, and the lock and lid were caked in yeast. I quickly sanitized the lid and lock and covered the fermentor and filled my lock with water. Almost instantly I noticed a few bubbles start to come up and I figured that I saved the batch. But my father checked it today (5 days from cooking it up), and did not see any bubbles coming up the air lock. Is there anything I can do to save my batch of beer. I know I should have used a blow off tube, but was told that you don't need to with a plastic fermentor. Any help from an expert is much appreciated. Thanks, Mike:confused:

I don't think you need to 'save' it. It should be fine.

Take a hydrometer reading if you can, give the bucket a swirl to rouse the yeast (don't splash), and take another hydrometer reading in a day or two. If it's same as your last reading, it's done.

If there are NO bubbles coming out of the airlock, I'd rack it over to the secondary. That will automatically rouse the yeast a bit. But a quick fermentation of 5 days does happen. You didn't say what temperature you had it fermenting at, but I'd guess your temperature was a little high and it finished quicker due to that reason.

If you don't have a secondary, I highly recommend getting one, especialy for more complex beers like stouts. It will improve your beer.

It's definitely not ruined. If it smells like beer, then it is beer!

Sounds like it's done, but get a reading. The times I've had major blowouts, the fermention process was done in 2-3 days.

Thanks guys, I'm going to check on it tommorow and take a reading.

How does a secondary fermentor work? Do I just siphon the beer into another fermentor, and then put the air lock on? How long does it have to ferment in the secondary fermentor? thanks, Mike

Back